Pump filter combo

bklos5

LifeTime Supporter
Jun 22, 2013
Washington, NJ
Hi all. Just recently joined. Already became a lifetime member - the info here is invaluable. We are complete newbies and are about to buy a 24' 54" agp, either a sharkline matrix or venture. I am leaning toward a cartridge filter. From what I have read, I should be good with a 3/4 or 1hp pump and 200 sq ft filter. What I can't seem to find is a combo system that satisfies both those requirements. Does anyone know if they make those? I just thought a system would be easier for us. Thank you!

Welcome to tfp, bklos5 :wave:

A 200 sq. ft. filter is the minimum we would recommend for your pool size.

Combo units that are sized correctly (big enough filter and small enough pump) can be hard to find. Sourcing them separately can get you a better equipment fit for your pool (but will likely cost a little more). Large cartridge filter combos are particularly hard to find since the industry under sizes carts.

In addition, we would recommend getting a 2-speed pump such as the 2speed pentair dynamo 1 hp or the 2-speed hayward matrix 1 hp.

What is your reason for choosing a cartridge filter?

Thank you!! I learned about the 2 speed pumps and will definitely get that. I am not married to a cartridge just thought it might be a little better than sand. If I get sand maybe I can use sand and then add that zeo filter stuff to make it clearer? Or is sand really good enough?

I am worried less about paying a little more than making sure I get the right sized equipment to make the pool easier :)

It all started out easy looking to do and now I am in the midst of all kinds of choices! Other quick question...can I put a deep end on one side of a round pool or is that odd and not so useful?

bklos5 said:
Thank you!! I learned about the 2 speed pumps and will definitely get that. I am not married to a cartridge just thought it might be a little better than sand. If I get sand maybe I can use sand and then add that zeo filter stuff to make it clearer? Or is sand really good enough?
I hunted down this old thread: sand-filters-are-they-really-this-bad-t56361.html

duraleigh said:
I keep this picture on my desktop and post it 3-4 times each swim season.

This pic is taken through 7 or so feet of water, sand filter 7-8 years old with original sand, no DE, no skimmer socks, no nothing.......just sand.

Each pool and location presents it's own set of problems but a sand filter, functioning properly, should be adequate in each situation
file.php

I have a deep end on my round pool. And it gets deep in a hurry! I replaced the liner several years ago and had to buy an expandable liner. I'm not sure how deep it is but I'm guessing about 7 ft. I dive in off my deck with no problem, but I advise against it for peeps with no dive experience. Most like to just cannonball it anyway!

So with some research it seems like pump filter system won't work for my size pool. I am having a hard time finding a 200 sq ft cartridge filter that is not for an inground pool. They have 4 cartridges right? I would be ok with that although it seems a little overkill.

Any suggestions? Thanks.

bklos5 said:
So with some research it seems like pump filter system won't work for my size pool. I am having a hard time finding a 200 sq ft cartridge filter that is not for an inground pool. They have 4 cartridges right? I would be ok with that although it seems a little overkill.

Any suggestions? Thanks.
The filter shouldn't care if the pool is above ground or below - only the pump needs to prime itself.

Thanks. I finally found a pentair filter for 200 sq ft. The URL you have has the systems which I would love to get (easy for pool dummies) but there isn't a 1.5 HP 200 sq ft combo. Either pump is too big (2hp) or filter too small (150). So looks like I will buy separate. Thank you. I don't know how you guys survive all the silly questions from us newbies :)

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You need to understand something about the way they size the pumps. In that line, the 2 HP is an identical pump to the 1.5 HP. The 2 HP is SPL rated and the 1.5 HP is up rated so by definition, they are exactly the same. The Optiflo is also a small pump for the given HP rating so the 2 HP SPL rated pump is actually smaller than a 1/2 HP Whisperlfo and Tristar. So ignore all the ratings and just go with the one I suggested and you won't be sorry.

http://www.westsidewholesale.com/pentai ... Qgodx2EAKQ

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.