Replace working light bulb?

codyt

Jun 19, 2013
Stilwell, Kansas
My pool has been empty for a few years and I had a pool contractor come look at some things before I get the pool up and running. One thing he mentioned was replacing the bulb in our pool light. The light works just fine right now, but I don't know how old it is, or if there are any problems with it being water tight. Would it be a good idea to replace the bulb now while the pool is still empty? Or is there no reason to since it works right now?

Thanks

Attachments

• Pool now.jpg
    Pool now.jpg
    196.2 KB · Views: 49
Can you replace the bulb yourself or do you need someone to do it for you?

It is simple to change a bulb, the light housing is held in with only one screw and the entire housing should be able to come out of the pool and sit on the deck. You then loosen the clamping system that holds the lens and unscrew the bulb. You need to replace the gasket that seals the lens and secure the lens in place. This is done the same with or without water in the pool, you do not need to drain the pool to change a bulb.

I would only let the contractor do it if he gave me a very good deal. Either way, I think I would replace the light bulb and gasket now or install a new LED light. You should not let the light stay on for more than a couple of seconds without being in water, they need the water to keep them cool.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.