So excited! Installed sand filter and filling now!

Awesome, thanks, Dave! TCJ4, I had to add stabilizer this morning with my bleach and because my pool is still filling, I can't run the pump, LOL! I'm just staring down into that water WAITING to test it! Fiiiiill!!! :whip:

If you use the sock method you are fine back washing, common industry instructions are to add the dry stabilizer into your skimmer so it would be trapped in the filter until dissolved, the problem is if it is in the filter you have no way to see if it has dissolved which can take several days, so if you were to backwash during that time the stabilizer would be flushed out of the filter.

Quick question... I'm almost full, maybe another hour or two and I'm done. Should I wait to test my water AFTER I backwash my filter and let it run for a while? Or test my water right after I turn off my water from filling?

Okay, so I am attempting to backwash my filter according to the instructions. My hoses are all hooked up, but when I move the plunger handle around to backwash mode, before I even turn the filter on, the water runs freely though it... But it's not ON! The water from my pool is flowing through the hoses and right out the drain hose. I'm following the instructions from the Youtube video. Am I missing something?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
You're not missing anything. Since the pool water is higher than the filter the water flows out. Turning the multiport valve handle to baskwash opens a path from the pool to the backwash line through the pump. Since nothing is closed the water flows through the pump and filter right out.

When I move the plunger handle to Backwash mode (FILTER IS OFF, mind you) it does not close the path through the drain, it gushes out the drain hose. So I turned the filter on really quick and it just came POURING EVEN MORE out of the drain hose. On the dvd it looks like it just trickles out. Is the gushing the REAL way my filter backwashes? LOL, this is hilarious!

Okay, I guess from all the Youtube videos I see, the water in everyone's sand filters don't start moving the water though the drain until they turn the machine ON in backwash mode. It's a little alarming to have all that water draining from my pool before I even move the handle to Backwash mode!

When i first backwashed last week when i put the valve to backwash and the plungervalve was open water started running out from the backwash hose even when the pump was off ,i then backwash and rinsed then put the handle in close mode close off the waste port turn the multi port to filter and i was good to go

Oh good, that's exactly what I did, TCJ4. I'm relieved to know that it's NORMAL! :wink: Nothing indicated ANYWHERE in the instructions that water would be moving when the plunger handle was in other modes with the machine off. My sand water was very clear also; was yours at all dirty when you backwashed it the first time?

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.