Availability of liquid chlorine in DFW

May 24, 2010
Dallas, TX
All-

So I enjoyed my Liquidator for a long time until last season- I broke one of the float valves, and my liquid chlorine supply ran out. I had a huge supply from an accidental shipment to a local Leslie's, with my backup being the 6% bleach jugs from Costco. I want to get this thing running again, but I've always thought it was impossible to get liquid chlorine locally outside of just grabbing some 6% bleach and dealing with that.

Last week I was buying some shock from a local maintenance company and they thought it shouldn't be a problem, which I found unusual, but not as unusual as my finding jugs of 10% at Tom Thumb! I've been out of the game for a year- is it becoming easier to get? Where do you get yours?

Thanks!

I have found 10% at Home Depot and Lowes. Tried a few bottles of it last year with less than optimal results. I dosed according to the Pool Calculator using a 10% concentration and retested FC about an hour later. FC level was not where it should have been. Suspect that it had been sitting around for a while and had degraded. Wound up dosing as though it were a 6% concentration which defeated the purpose of using it.

I too share your frustration with the unavailability of higher concentration liquid bleach/chlorine in DFW and throughout Texas, especially since local pool stores that also have locations in other states carry the higher concentrations. Since this seems to be along state lines, I suspect that there is some sort of government regulation or permitting process that makes it impractical to stock anything higher than 10% here.

However, I have learned that obtaining liquid bleach/chlorine from a source that has a high product turnover (thereby ensuring fresh product) is more important than seeking out high concentration liquid bleach and taking a chance that it has been sitting around for a while and degrading. Plus, the introduction of 8.25% bleach as the new standard provides an even better balance between high concentration and fresh, easy to get product.

According to the Hasa website there are four dealers in the Dallas/Fort Worth area who sell Hasa chlorinating liquid (Hasa has a chlor-alkali production facility in Dallas):

A-Quality Pool Service
8001 Boulevard 26
76180-7155 -- North Richland
Phone: (817) 281-0781

Gohlke Pools
909 Dallas Drive
76205 -- Denton
Phone: (940) 384-7665

Matt The Pool Guy
1353 Jasmine Dr
Lewisville TX 75077
(972) 839-1547

Splash Pools
14180 Bridge Trail
Forney TX 75126
(214) 215-4232

In September last year (2012), I called A-Quality Pool Service and they sell 4 gallons in a case for $20 (there's a $6 deposit for the case which you get back at the end of the season if you don't keep it). It's guaranteed 12.5% but they get it fresh every other day so it's more likely to be closer to 15%. At $5 per gallon, it's not cheap, but it's not a horrible deal either. It's between $3.50 and $4 for me locally in the San Francisco bay area. I also called Gohlke Pools and they also sell it by the case (4 gallons), $24.99 plus $6 deposit for the case. You could probably get bleach for a better price, but it's more weight to carry around.

So while it's harder to find chlorinating liquid in Texas, it's not impossible and there is a chlor-alkali plant there.

With a chlor-alkali production facility in Dallas, you would think that 12.5% bleach would be more widely available here. That's the frustrating part. When I visit friends/family in GA and FL, I can find it in pool stores and even some warehouse clubs.

Texasmax, if you are located near one of those locations in Chem Geek's post, this may an option for you. As for me, none of those locations are close enough to warrant a special trip, so I'm going to stick with the easy-to-get-anywhere 8.25% bleach. I'm happy with the added convenience and reduce bulk compared to the old 6%. That said, if I happen to be passing through one of those locations, I will probably check it out.

I knew those glass carboys would be useful for something when I got mine 20 years ago!! Chem Geek, great recomendation to call the local "big" chemical guys around town. I live in the OKC metro area so there should be something here, but I simply don't use that much so once a week or maybe everyother week at trip for fresh Clorox at WalMart is all I need.

This year I decided to keep no more than one spare gallon of Clorox around as past years I purchased alot and failed to store them properly.......

Bob E.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.