Hello TFP! Starting our first little pool project...

Nice!

There are some posts here about gophers, moles etc.. Might want to research those.

I didnt backfill so can't answer that one.. I just dug down to level .. I believe they call it "crusher run" or "2A modified" to use as a base .. Tamped with plate compactor.

Great job so far... The first dip in is so worth it lol

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clambert1273 said:
Nice!

There are some posts here about gophers, moles etc.. Might want to research those.

I didnt backfill so can't answer that one.. I just dug down to level .. I believe they call it "crusher run" or "2A modified" to use as a base .. Tamped with plate compactor.

Great job so far... The first dip in is so worth it lol

Yea reading all I can on it, thanks I'll check those out. can't wait to get this ground level!

Look what came today, sweet! Time to start practicing with some tap water.

Tap water:

FC - 1
pH - 8.2
TA - 130
CH - 230
CYA - 0
CC - 1.5

I'm really itching to get this thing together now. Here is some progress on the yard leveling, got the red ants mostly killed off, gopher tunnels fill and packed and making my way around the circle.

You guys like my "No kid zone" tape? They have been pretty good so far wonder how long that will hold out! :)

Threw together a setup and landscaping plan:

Going to do a nice dark brown mulch, not that weird red color and was thinking on keeping the organic mulch away from against the pool by putting a similar color "rubber mulch" right around the pool since the stuff is so expensive. Pavers for the ladder base and the equipment base, as well as some stepping stones to walk along the garden. The larger tree is a lime tree and the smaller one is a lemon tree, perfect for summer drinks!
I saw a great storage bin at Home Depot that I was thinking of putting the equipment in. Not sure if that will hurt anything as far as heat goes.
Something like this:

And the cantilever umbrella can swing over the pool when some shade is needed.

HacoboPablo said:
not that weird red color

lol, wow, I really HATE that stuff. Every time I see it, I cringe b/c it's so ugly. (sorry to anyone here who has it)

Not only do I like your design but I really like the graphic you built. Nice job! You talked about space constraints but my yard is even smaller (patio home) and I like what you've sketched up to make it look good.

I have one of those cantilevered umbrellas (11 ft) over mine (of course it doesn't shade 11 ft b/c of the angle of the sun). It makes a HUGE difference in water temp. Just be sure to place it where it'll provide maximum blockage of the sun during the most extreme part of the day. Morning rays aren't as big of a deal. I have one that blocks the late afternoon sun, but since I had to cut down a tree last week, the pool now has several hours of late morning to mid afternoon exposure that isn't covered. I may have to look at getting a 2nd one. We'll just have to see how it works out. I know that SoCal has way less humidity and a better environment, so it probably isn't such a big deal. It totally sucks here.

As for the chest you're looking to use as a pump house, I have thought about the same thing. I saw a thread out here where a guy did that. He cut holes in the sides where the lines came in/out. It looked pretty slick. We get way more rain here than you do in SoCal, and after only 1 year of ownership I noticed that between the vast amounts of rain and really high temps that the pump keypad is taking a beating. I've noticed a bit of condensation appearing between the top layer and the buttons on the control panel. I also noticed the touch surface degrading. I'm worried about how long it will hold up in the sun and rain. I want to do something like this. I just haven't looked into feasibility.

hyperionguy said:
lol, wow, I really HATE that stuff. Every time I see it, I cringe b/c it's so ugly. (sorry to anyone here who has it)

Not only do I like your design but I really like the graphic you built. Nice job! You talked about space constraints but my yard is even smaller (patio home) and I like what you've sketched up to make it look good.

I have one of those cantilevered umbrellas (11 ft) over mine (of course it doesn't shade 11 ft b/c of the angle of the sun). It makes a HUGE difference in water temp. Just be sure to place it where it'll provide maximum blockage of the sun during the most extreme part of the day. Morning rays aren't as big of a deal. I have one that blocks the late afternoon sun, but since I had to cut down a tree last week, the pool now has several hours of late morning to mid afternoon exposure that isn't covered. I may have to look at getting a 2nd one. We'll just have to see how it works out. I know that SoCal has way less humidity and a better environment, so it probably isn't such a big deal. It totally sucks here.

As for the chest you're looking to use as a pump house, I have thought about the same thing. I saw a thread out here where a guy did that. He cut holes in the sides where the lines came in/out. It looked pretty slick. We get way more rain here than you do in SoCal, and after only 1 year of ownership I noticed that between the vast amounts of rain and really high temps that the pump keypad is taking a beating. I've noticed a bit of condensation appearing between the top layer and the buttons on the control panel. I also noticed the touch surface degrading. I'm worried about how long it will hold up in the sun and rain. I want to do something like this. I just haven't looked into feasibility.

Thanks man. The yard has been just dirt for so long, it will be nice to look out at a pool and some landscaping for a change! The cantilever umbrella seems like the perfect low cost shade for an AGP. I can only find 10' umbrellas around here but it should be enough to have a spot to get out of the burning heat, I'll have to play with the location to get it right. As far as the box for the equipment I saw a guy on youtube showing off his Intex setup and had one with the hoses coming out and I thought, cool, nice and clean. I think it would protect the equipment better and keep the kids from messing with stuff. If I get one I may be able to put some vents on the sides to keep things cool.

Back to digging for me, more pics to come!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Leveling is done and now onto burying the pavers. Picked up the mulch and some rubber mulch for right against the pool. Now as soon as I can get a wheelbarrow I'm gonna get all this dirt outta here.

I'll be happy when all of the digging and dirt moving is done! :crazy:

You will love that speedstir. Boy does it make testing a breeze.

I would mention that I got my 11 foot cantilever umbrella from Target when I was getting the same pool you did earlier this spring. I could have found the same thing online for $100 more. I got rid of the stupid water filled base that took up alot of floor space and dug a 4' hole and welded up an assembly to bolt the base to and cemented it into the patio.....no space/walking issues now!!

Good luck, your real close. You will love that size pool....not to big, not to deep, not to small.

Bob E.

Yep, once I practiced testing trying to constantly swirl and count drops, I realized the SpeedStir was the way to go.

Ordered my umbrella and I think I'm going to go the concrete and bolt closer to the pool, route as well.

Been busy all week, but finally made a lot of progress today! Pool is up and partially full!

More pics,

Pavers buried and leveled. Started pinning down some weed barrier.

The wife helped me lay and tape the 3/4" foam and set the tarp out.

Got the pool together and setup!

Leveling the equipment pad

Started filling water and quickly stopped just below the intake when I realized I forgot to cut the holes bigger for the larger pump fittings, whew, that would have sucked to drain the pool. I'll tackle that tomorrow.

Started getting dark but I laid all of the weed barrier and added the rubber mulch around the base of the pool and started filling in all of the regular mulch. More pics tomorrow and another run the Home Depot!

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.