intex 2650 GPH sand filter making a beach...

Aug 14, 2012
Costa Mesa, CA
Well all, first post to the site. After weeks of frustration with my Intex "A" canister filter, I picked up the Intex 2650 GPH sand filter.

I got it all assembled today, went to the pool store, picked up $20 worth of sand and a pretty pricey 100' by 2" backwash hose. Anyway, I installed the filter per the manual. The only trouble I had was the first time filling the sand, I jumped the gun on trying to level the sand. I apparently did not have enough sand in the tank and, after removing the sand shield when trying to level the sand, my arm moved the riser and lifted the laterals off the bottom. Strike 1. I dumped all the sand out carefully reset the lateral and proceeded again. Second time seemed to work fine (until backwash). While backwashing, my site glass never really cleared "as advertised" and after FAR too long of a backwash, I ended up with a small sand dune in my driveway.

I just read through the site again and it appears common that people see some sand in the site glass, but I'm just a bit nervous that something may be wrong. I did flip the multiport over to rinse and the site glass did get clear. Is this a sign that the filter is working normally and I should just flip it over to filter and give it a shot? I just don't want to end up with a pool full of sand.

Thanks,

Keehan

Well, the pump has been running most of the day and I don't see any real improvement. I did open up the pre-filter basket and found a bit of sand in there. Not sure where that came from. My guess would be from the vacuum I did today, but can't be sure. I opened the sediment drain and cleaned that out and will keep an eye on the situation. I will be opening a thread in the getting started area as I work on pool chemistry...

Thanks,

Keehan

when i first loaded sand last friday i also did get some sand out of the backwash hose and there was allot of sand in the sightglas but after i rinsed it all the sand went away and it has been running really good so far

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.