BBB toxic to grass?

Nice post, DKT. Most cool season grasses suffer more and more the further you get below the Mason-Dixon line. OP doesn't say if he has warm season grass or cool season grass.

Here in Raleigh, were sorta' in between the two choices so neither type does really well without some increased attention.

DKT113 offers an interesting thought. I don't think it applies to my current situation.

For the record, there are no cool weather grasses in my lawn, save the dandelions that dominate the landscape late fall through early spring. We, like nearly everyone else in DFW, have a lawn of bermuda grass.

The point I was trying to establish is that this lawn challenge I face presented itself during my 13th year of pool ownership (this is year 14), with only the last 3 years (including this season) managed with BBB techniques. Prior to BBB the dead spot in my lawn was among the most thick and green areas in my yard. It just makes me curious.

Now - about the salt testing. I don't have a salt test. Are they expensive? Is it worth the expense?

I am in Dallas, I have a salt pool with 50ppm borates. Been backwashing in the same spot, and no dead grass. In fact, right now my grass is growing faster than I can mow. :)

100% St. Augustine, which isn't the hardiest grass for Texas.

For the salt test, I prefer the drop test from tftestkits.net. I've tried the strips, and find them inaccurate.

Hold off on the soil sample and google "bermuda grass diseases" see if any of the types relate to the problem you are having & if they do try and treat that. You will find people who will test your soil, I am sure pretty easily ~ but if you could find the problem with the grass specifically you might be able to bring it around.

I googled out of curiosity ~ my Grandparents could look at something and and know if it was diseased or begin "bugged to death" and they treated as they had learned to & nipped problems at the bud. If you have an elderly local in the neighborhood with a nice looking yard ~ stop in with coffee and donuts (green tea & yogurt if they look like they keep a good yard & keep themselves in shape) and discuss grass.

If you don't have some sort of fungus / disease that you are confident you have identified and can treat I would then call a botanist & pick their brain (someone familiar with DFW area) and if I struck out with those missions I would consider having a soil test and see what's leeching into your area.

If you would keep us posted I would appreciate it, I will be very interested to hear what you have found out and what the resolve is.

Good Luck (find an elderly person, they know things that would make google blush with embarrassment!)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.