Intex Pump Upgrade

jcp

Aug 14, 2012
Mid Missouri
I'd like to upgrade the pump / filter on my 18'x48" easy set pool. Currently running the 1500 GPH Type A Intex pump.

Due to the fact that I've got a saltwater setup I'd prefer to stay with a cartridge type filter.

I would like to go with a Hayward or Pentaire pump / filter combo in order to be able to get a cartridge with more square feet. But it looks like the plumbing will not be compatible. Is that true? Since I have the easy set I need to stay with hose plumbing. Are there solutions for hooking these up?

I guess otherwise; my only choice is the Intex 2500 GPH Type B. It's certainly not the gain in cartridge square feet I would like.

I have a 15X48 intex easy set pool.I upgraded last year to a 2650 gph intex sand filter pump & have the SWG. I also installed a hayward widemouth skimmer & changed the inlet & outlet to hayward fittings(cut the liner openings bigger). I couldn't be happier & have crystal clear water & great flow.I believe the sand filter pump is easier to maintain than the cartridge. I backwash,rinse & return to filtering. No cartridges to clean & buy & the sand lasts forever!!
Hopes this helps

I've considered the Intex sand filters, but I'd prefer to avoid for a couple reasons. I don't have a convienent place to dispose of the backwash water other than my yard. I've spent too much money and effort getting my grass to grow to water it with salt water. Also I would prefer not to have to deal with maintaining salt and CYA levels after back washing. Perhaps these may not be as big of a deal as I think.

If a Hayward or pentaire can be plumbed to the intex hoses, I can get a filter big enough to minimize the number of cleanings required per season. That's the route I'm hoping I can go.

I dont think your Salt/CYA levels would be effected much changing to a sand filter. The backwashing process and rinse process maybe takes 5 mins at most and you might only have to backwash once maybe twice a month. that is depending on how clean you keep your pool/chem!

The backwash water can flood the yard a little, but they do make 50' backwash hoses so maybe you can find somewhere to pump it to.

I wont ever use my cartridge filter again unless its for something other then filtering!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.