Algae won't stop

OK, so last night after completely sanitizing the ladder I put it back in the pool and brought it up to mustard shock level, FC 40 and brushed the entire pool. This morning I was still at FC 40, so no overnight chlorine loss, still CC of 0, and brushed the pool again. At noon I added bleach to bring the FC from 38 to 40, and it is still at 40 as of 3pm when I brushed again. Haven't seen any of the algae patches today so hopefully I am on my way. Going to bump back up to 40 after dinner if necessary and then let the FC return to normal and keep my fingers crossed.

Great, keep us posted, hopefully that will get it. On mine I had some dead stuff at the bottom I had to vacuum to waste and then repeatedly DE'd my sandfilter to clear the water. Once it was dead it took about two days and at least 5 backwashings to clear it.

Another day with no visible algae on walls or bottom, and FC is steadily falling from mustard shock level.

FC 26
CC 0
PH 7.5
TA 85
CH 70
CYA 80?? I am terrible at this, best guess.

I suppose I wont know if I am done until the FC drops into normal range but I am keeping my fingers crossed. I have also converted entirely to the BBB method. I have a 8 bottles of bleach left so no more messing with pucks and chlorbrite and skyrocketing CYA levels. Thanks to everyone for being so helpful.

Glad to hear that, just follow the CYA chart and dont let the FC get below the min according to the CYA level you have. Also watch your PH once you get below FC 10, anything above that can give fluctuating PH readings and not be true.

You will get the hang of it, I was terrible with it at first too, and that's not that long ago. Some people test theirs at the beginning of summer and the middle without losing much. I have to test mine way more often because of water evap and then our occasional afternoon thunderstorms that can dump 3 inches at one time not to mention if we get tropical storms and god forbid a hurricane where I have to pump water out the pool.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
and it's back. Last few days we have had the FC bouncing between 8 and 13, never below our target of 7 but the first time we fell below the yellow/mustard minimum of 9, and tonight there was a patch on the wall near the ladder. So frustrating, I thought we had it all. Back to brushing and shocking I guess. I am so tired of this nonsense I may just make the mustard min FC level the min that we use year round.

That's what mine did too, I had to hit it twice when I thought I had killed it. That's why even though you don't see it and looked clear, it came back when you caned down on the levels. Even though the pool school shock suggested to leave it at mustard shock for 24 hours, I left it for 48. Again though check everything again, all the things I said before your float at the skimmer, light if you have one, scrub the tools in a separate vat of water and strong Clorox, all floatstoys, etc, and if y'all got back in the pool since without washing the swimsuits you could have brought it back in. At least your CYA should be lower where you dont have to use as much Clorox. After you took out the ladder and pumped Clorox into it, before you put it back, did you let it sit and eat up the green in the ladder for a day and then did you use that pressure nozzle and flush out the ladder through the larger holes you drilled to get out the used up Clorox before going back in the water?

I would definitely check your CYA again before you start to make sure your Clorox will be the right strength.

I know it's frustrating but that stuff is hard to kill and you can't stay at mustard forever, it will eventually damage the liner and you should not swim with it that high.

One thing you might try also is the polyquat 60 once you get it clean again, that seems too have helped mine to inhibit any growth.

Keep brushing alot and clear out the filter as you go.

Btw, with my CYA at 50, I have to keep it at target 9 because my daily sun loss is about 4, so to stay above minimum throughout the day I have to go above target.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.