Trying to do CYA right

RSAnative

Gold Supporter
Bronze Supporter
May 26, 2013
Baltimore, MD
I know this has been a topic on here and I've been reading some of the threads and the pool school but I still had some questions.

My CYA is 20ppm so I need to raise it. I read that it takes a while for CYA to dissolve and one of the methods is to use a sock in the skimmer basket. Has anyone does this? If so how long does this take? And it is a literate sock or some fancy name for pool equipment? Any other suggestions for raising CYA would be appreciated!

Also on the pool calc.com I noticed a borate caculator. I believe my stabilizer is borate. I'm assuming I should use that calulator not the CYA one? The CYA one uses oz, and I'm not sure what that means in terms of grams.

Sorry if I'm being confusing.

Thanks so much!
Robert

Just a plain old sock. It's usually better to hang the sock in front of a return, that way it's not touching anything if the pump shuts off. Give it a squeeze now and then when you're near it and it'll dissolve faster.

Borates are for buffering PH I believe, not chlorine. If your CYA is 20 you want stabilizer or conditioner that is cyanuric (sp) acid.

As Dan said, best to hang the sock in front of the return.

Borates are completely optional and are not what we normally call "stabilizer" which is cyanuric acid ... this is the ingredient that should be on the packaging.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.