Shopping for a spa and need HELP please!

Laenini

LifeTime Supporter
Aug 7, 2008
Brooklyn Park, MN
Last fall we had a freak, late season hail storm that damaged the cabinet on our spa. It was November when the damage occurred, and we didn't think much of it other than that we'd wait til spring to look at fixing what we regarded as cosmetic damage. Well, we never thought that the integrity of the spa had been compromised, but it was. The cracked cabinet allowed water to get at the spa-pack. It also allowed mice to get into the nice, warm cozy under spa area and make a nice home for themselves for the winter. The mice fought off their winter boredom by chewing on the wiring under the tub! So between that and the moisture the tub shorted out in March and froze-up solid before we even knew anything had happened. :(

When spring finally came, we had our insurance company out to evaluate the hail damage on our roof (it was a serious storm and the whole neighborhood got new roofs). We mentioned to the adjuster that the hail had damaged the hot tub and they not only informed us that it was covered on our policy, but that due to the freeze up they would consider it a total loss rather than fix it. They took the serial number off our tub and got information directly from CalSpas on what the current replacement value would be on the tub, and have told us we can go out now and choose a tub for $9500.00. Additionally, they say the tub has a salvage value of 1500 that they will allow us to collect that in addition to the 9500, so its almost like we have $11000.00 to spend on a new tub.

So, I get to go out and buy a new tub! While this is wonderful news, I must admit I found the spa buying process to be very difficult the first time around, and my comfort level now in facing it again is no better this time around! I hate the feeling that the same spa has an infinite number of prices based on how talented you might be in negotiating with the salesman. Since I know I'm just not that slick of a negotiator, I automatically feel like I'm getting ripped off. I also have a very bad back due to a degenerative spine condition I was diagnosed with 2 years ago. I really need a good spa with high quality neck and shoulder therapeutic massage jets. While I know this time to insist on wet testing before making my final selection, I know I won't get to wet test as many spas as I might want to in order to find the best of the best to chose from in the last choice round. Anyone who has bought a spa in the last few years I would be so happy if you would share with me information that will help me make the best choice I can. In particular I'd like to know:
  • What brand and model spa did you buy?
    How much did you pay for your spa?
    How well does your spa massage your upper back, shoulders and neck?
    Did you get any options added to you spa and if so were they worth getting?
    Does your spa "fit" people of different sizes, or does it seem to be made only for tall men?
    Would you buy that same spa again?
    Finally, anything else you think is important to share about your spa
I don't know why, but people seem to hate sharing this type of information. I'm desperate for some direction though, so please, help me buy the right spa this time? Obviously, my CalSpas was not the right spa last time or I would have run over to their dealership and bought the latest model of my old tub over again. I didn't wet test last time and learned the hard way that the tub I bought seemed to be meant for 6 foot tall men, and I'm a 5'3" woman!
Anyone who isn't comfortable answering in the open forum can feel free to respond in a pm if desired.
Thank you!

I would look at the Artesian Brand tub if its in your area. All made in the USA. There are smaller plug and play version to the normal 220, 2 seaters to 8 seaters, and its a comfortable fit. Dual pumps. If you are the only person in the tub there is no need to have all the jets running, so you can just run half the tub. Cuts down on the wear and tear of the pump. Highly recommend looking at this brand. Love LOVE LOVE mine

Thank you for your response Bloomers! I did happen to wet test the Artesian Grand Cayman last weekend at Family Leisure. I really liked the tub, especially the contoured neck and shoulder jets which seemed to do a good job of getting at my sore spots! Another feature this tub had that my old tub didn't (and I haven't noticed on other tubs I've looked at) is an adjustable weir that allows one to set the depth of the water on their tub to the level that is best for them. I'm betting this could make a huge difference with issues like floating out of lounges or just feeling too bounced around in a tub? By adjusting the water level I would guess that an owner could find their own "sweet spot" where their buoyancy doesn't work against them. This is just a guess though, if I buy the tub and find that I was wrong about that I will post back. I'm just about ready to pull the trigger on the deal, but I'm holding back just a little because to get this particular tub with the features I want I would have to wait 6 weeks for it to come from the factory. Most other places I've talked to only needed 2-3 weeks of lead time, and some were able to deliver right away. In the whole overall scheme of things I know I shouldn't worry about waiting the extra time to get the right tub. But I am still disappointed to have to wait. Anyway, I plan to make my decision in the next few days. I could spend 3 weeks hemming and hawing over trying to make the "right" decision! So I've given myself a deadline to make my decision by the end of this weekend.

One product line I haven't made it out to see in person, yet I want to before I decide is Bullfrog Spas. Their spas have a component feature that allows the owner to switch out the jet configuration without having to replace the tub to do so. I find that really intriguing, especially with my back problems. So I am going to try to see them, and then decide. I still welcome more feedback from anyone willing to offer it!!

Thanks again Bloomers for your input!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.