Pentair WhisperFlo - Repair cracked volute?

Jun 9, 2011
Cave Creek, AZ
I have an older Pentair WhisperFlo 1 HP WF-4 pump that operates a Paramount PCC2000 in-floor cleaning system. The pump volute (pump wet end body) has 3 inch long crack that runs through seal plate sealing face (under o-ring) causing significant water leak during pump run. Crack is slightly larger than 'hairline' and probably caused by winter freeze damage (located in Phoenix area) that occurred sometime during previous homeowner 13-year ownership tenure.

I tried JB Weld Kwik Weld epoxy scabbed over crack inside and outside volute. I allowed the Kwik Weld to cure for 24 hours then sanded smooth inside volute and at sealing face. No luck. Pump pressure blew epoxy out of crack and pumps stills leaks from crack in sealing face under o-ring.

After MUCH online research I can't find any information anywhere that defines the plastic composition of the Pentair WhisperFlo pump volute so as to select/use proper epoxy or plastic welding material. If I can determine volute plastic composition I MIGHT be able to plastic weld the crack and sand the welds smooth.

I REALLY hope I can repair the crack to avoid replacing volute. Any experience here with successful crack repairs on Pentair WhispertFlo pump volute/wet end body? Does anybody know the plastic composition for the Pentair WhisperFlo pump volute?

Thanks!

Thanks for the tip!

I found some interesting recommendations for pump volute crack repair on other pool care forums that suggest using high PSI strength epoxy putty to seal the crack - e.g. Rectorseal EP-200 - allow the epoxy putty to cure 24 hours, then liberally apply 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 over the epoxy putty to add a secondary flexible seal over the epoxy crack seal.

The Rectorseal EP-200 product data sheet specifically states that it will adhere to fiberglass and to PVC. The 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 product info also states that it will adhere to fiberglass and various petroleum-based plastics and will fully cure in 24 hours, even under water!

So, I hope these two products will adhere to the Pentair WhisperFlo pump volute material - whatever its composition - sufficient to seal the pump volute crack and then maintain the seal under the pump operating pressure.

I will try this pump volute crack repair method and report here on my success.

Photo Dec 06, 10 38 27 AM.jpg

I have the same problem, did the 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 worked for your pool crack?, I just replaced the pool pump, I want to fix the volute if possible. Thank you

Thanks for the tip!

I found some interesting recommendations for pump volute crack repair on other pool care forums that suggest using high PSI strength epoxy putty to seal the crack - e.g. Rectorseal EP-200 - allow the epoxy putty to cure 24 hours, then liberally apply 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 over the epoxy putty to add a secondary flexible seal over the epoxy crack seal.

The Rectorseal EP-200 product data sheet specifically states that it will adhere to fiberglass and to PVC. The 3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200 product info also states that it will adhere to fiberglass and various petroleum-based plastics and will fully cure in 24 hours, even under water!

So, I hope these two products will adhere to the Pentair WhisperFlo pump volute material - whatever its composition - sufficient to seal the pump volute crack and then maintain the seal under the pump operating pressure.

I will try this pump volute crack repair method and report here on my success.

"3M Marine Adhesive Sealant Fast Cure 5200" is caulk. Very good caulk (marine caulk) but i'd be surprised if it can take much pressure. How much is it leaking? If it's just a drip, you might want to live with it if you don't want to replace the volute.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.