Will some of you BBB masters backstop me please?

Day 1 of the attack has begun.

The water change brought the CYA down to 70 as hoped. Still higher than ideal, but at least the target and shock numbers are "manageable" for the short term.

We calculated for 17,000 gallons, and whacked the thing with nearly 700 oz of bleach (it had some FC in it from before..long story, that *heh*) which ramped things up into the high 30's or so...which should give him several hours before it approaches the target of 28.

He's committed to testing a MINIMUM of twice a day for as long as it takes, and hopes to have the chance to test 3-4 x a day.

By the time I left (about 2.5 hours after hitting it with the first dose) we could already see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end, so at least he's got something to show for his efforts!

I'm hoping this one goes well, and produces some good results in 3-4 days. It's up to him now!

gboulton said:
Day 1 of the attack has begun.

The water change brought the CYA down to 70 as hoped. Still higher than ideal, but at least the target and shock numbers are "manageable" for the short term.

We calculated for 17,000 gallons, and whacked the thing with nearly 700 oz of bleach (it had some FC in it from before..long story, that *heh*) which ramped things up into the high 30's or so...which should give him several hours before it approaches the target of 28.

He's committed to testing a MINIMUM of twice a day for as long as it takes, and hopes to have the chance to test 3-4 x a day.

By the time I left (about 2.5 hours after hitting it with the first dose) we could already see the bottom of the pool in the shallow end, so at least he's got something to show for his efforts!

I'm hoping this one goes well, and produces some good results in 3-4 days. It's up to him now!
:nopic:

eaamon said:
your near nashville, me too. with the fact you got 32" rain this year so far and a few inches the last two days alone.
have him run the vaccume to waste position and not through the filter every time it rains. he did stop using tablets right?
1; I just would add the bleach every day and brush the sides one day (just after adding the bleach)
2; add bleach the next day brush bottom.
3rd; add 4 or 5 bottles of 8.25% bleach run filter 24/7 a over night, rest it day 4
vaccume bottom to waste.
repeat until clean clear water.
I'm in Columbia....here you get charged extra for as much water you add to pool you are charged for
sewerage water treatment.
pool looks to be vinyl does it have a SWG?
if it is a vinyl pool do not drain it too far. the sides will come off the walls.
and I do not know how much shock you can add before the color bleaches out.
my preforeclosed home had a CYA of over 310 I had to over come.

Does your water company allow you to put in a separate meter for your pool water? Mine does and I had one installed for 800.00. Now I do not have to pay the sewage rate for the water that I use in my irrigation system or my pool.
I had it installed when I had the irrigation system put in and then I hooked up the waste line to the sewerage. Yeah I know it is fudging a little on the waste line but I pay enough water bill anyway. I just figure if the water company can let a leak run on the side of the road for weeks and sometimes months before they fix it then I should be allowed to fudge a little.

I know 800.00 is a hefty price but over the years of not having a sewage rate of 100% of your water useage rate, it does not take long to pay for it.

Any pics of the pool? I only saw a red X for the first pic. :|

Richard320 said:
Charlie_R said:
Agreed, Richard. MUST HAVE PICS!!!!

This was taken right as I arrived. By the time I left, you could just start to see the bottom of the pool at the shallow end, if you were standing down there.

aUFyHvx.jpg

I'll text in the morning and ask for progress pictures as we go...but they'll be whatever he remembers to take, so no promises. It's an hour's drive out there, so as much as I love you guys, I ain't burnin' that much gas just for changing shades of green. :lol:

MLock said:
This thread needs updates and pictures!!

Sorry, friend hasn't been terribly forthcoming with pictures. You'll have to excuse him...we've only just now got him convinced to pour bleach in his pool, we still don't quite have him fully TFP trained. ;)

The good news, however, is that things are going well, and he DID finally send me a pic yesterday afternoon:

TffFC41.jpg

He reports that he's been testing, chlorinating, backwashing, and brushing religiously twice a day, sometimes more, and that FC has never dropped below 29. He also says the floor of the shallow end is now easily and entirely visible, and the deep end is much improved. Still just enough cloudiness that he can't see the drain cover in the bottom end. Color, as you can tell, is much improved.

He asked last night what he should do now that the water is turning blue, I told him to stay the course. I reminded him that there are THREE criteria we're after, and that one of them is crystal clear water. He assured me he'd stay on top of things. I also told him now was the time to really be attentive to backwashing the filter, because we're removing the last of the dying and dead algae at this point.

I suspect, within another day or so, we'll probably have this sucker beat. Haven't heard from him this morning (He's up and off to work by 3:30am daily...but yes, he's been testing and chlorinating at that hour ANYway...truly dedicated!) but I'm hoping to get an update this afternoon.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I'm pleased to report rousing success. :)

aUFyHvx.jpg

To :

w9QnzAc.jpg

Yes, that's the vacuum bot's shadow you can see in there, despite the angle and moving water. :)

:party: :party: :party:

He tested CC today, 0ppm! :goodjob:

I advised running FC back up to about 35ppm tonight, testing very carefully, and then doing an OCLT in the morning, and barring any surprises...GO SWIM THIS WEEKEND! :)

He also reported that while he was in it yesterday and today, scrubbing around light fixtures and such, that "It's always had this weird smell to it...but not any more. And the water isn't slimey at all...it's like being in drinking water!"

:whoot:

----

Thanks for the help and insight, gang...we got us another convert!

Thanks, gang!

I can't take much credit though. All I did was explain BBB, and show him why it works. This guy was COMMITTED to this process. He's up and off to work by 3:30am T-Sat, but STILL found time to do at least 2 tests a day. Combine that with brushing, scrubbing, lugging bleach around, and completely staying on top of every aspect of this thing.

I may have preached, but he practiced!

Smykowski said:
Great work. This one can go on Richard's "Proof BBB Works" list.
Yes indeedy.

I told my friend several times...there's no "magic" here. Chlorine does what Chlorine does...CYA does what CYA does..and so on.

The "trick" is simply understanding what numbers have to be where to accomplish what...and then committing yourself to managing them. He did a fantastic job of that.

Smykowski said:
"It was a 'Jump to Conclusions' mat. You see, it would be this mat that you would put on the floor... and would have different CONCLUSIONS written on it that you could JUMP TO."
That's the worst idea I've ever heard in my life, Tom.

"It's always had this weird smell to it...but not any more. And the water isn't slimey at all...it's like being in drinking water!"
that is what my brother in law quoted when he visited my pool. he had never experienced a pool like that before.
glad you and you pal got it. patience paid off.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.