converted a friend to BBB - now treating metal stains

KatyO

Jun 4, 2013
We have been very happy with our BBB treated pool. Our friends have been "pool stored" over and over again over the years. :rant: This year, they finally got fed up and fired the pool store and asked us to help them with the pool.

I wish I had pictures to show but in less than a week we turned a dark green swamp into a clear sparkling gorgeous pool by following the shock process outlined here. :party:

We taught them how to test the water and they ordered all the appropriate test kits. Its been fun to see them get so involved in taking care of the pool! The pool looks better now than it has looked in years.

They have always struggled with reddish/brown staining - especially in the shallow end and on the fiberglass steps. The shock process did nothing to the stains so I tried a vitamin C tablet and it was miraculous. We've pretty much cleared up all the staining just with vitamin C tablets - either just by throwing them in the shallow end or scrubbing along the walls of the steps. I read the AA treatment process but am trying to avoid that for now as their kids want to swim RIGHT NOW. Since everything looks good, the water is balanced, and the stains are fairly well managed, do you think we are ok to just let it ride until close and then do a big AA treatment? They are so proud of the pool and I don't want to take another couple of weeks to drop FC, do AA, bring FC back up, etc.

What do the experts say?

Also, we haven't officially tested for metals - but since the vitamin C did so well I just assume it is metal staining. And by the color I assume it is iron. We haven't added a sequestrant yet - Jack's Blue stuff the right one for the job?

their pool details -
inground
vinyl liner
oval shape - approx. 20x40 size -estimated 30K gallons
sand filter
very shaded yard - only gets around 3 hours of direct sunlight a day

location -
Arkansas

Thanks for any suggestions!

KatyO said:
I wish I had pictures to show but in less than a week we turned a dark green swamp into a clear sparkling gorgeous pool by following the shock process outlined here.
:goodjob:

Regarding the staining issue: Since the Vitamin C tabs cleared up the stains, they are definitely metal stains. If the stains are currently cleared up and the water looks good, as you indicate, then I would simply add a sequestrant to keep any metals in the water from depositing as stains. After circulating it for about 15 minutes, then go swimming :swim: Keep in mind that you will need to add sequestrant periodically.

KatyO said:
And by the color I assume it is iron. We haven't added a sequestrant yet - Jack's Blue stuff the right one for the job?
If your friend's pool is filled with well water, it is likely iron. If they fill with city water, I would ask if they have used any copper-based products (algaecides). Of course, testing for metals will tell you for sure. Jack's Blue Stuff is one of the recommended sequestrants and will work fine although it is formulated to be more aggressive on copper-based stains whereas Jack's Pink Stuff is formulated to be more aggressive on iron.

Since everything looks good, the water is balanced, and the stains are fairly well managed, do you think we are ok to just let it ride until close and then do a big AA treatment? They are so proud of the pool and I don't want to take another couple of weeks to drop FC, do AA, bring FC back up, etc.
Absolutely, I agree 100% with you. Why take a chance during prime swim time to do the AA treatment! I suggest folks wait 'til the end of pool season for the AA treatment.

You have done a remarkable job for your friends :goodjob: :cheers:

Update -

We added sequestrant yesterday evening. The pool looked wonderful - freshly vacuumed, all tests were within normal.

This morning, our friends went outside and this stuff was in the bottom of the deep end....she scooped it up and said it was thick and slimy. Could it be the metals? Its the exact same color as the staining that was on the steps and liner in the shallow end.

Of course we will vacuum to waste and re-test all chemicals to make sure everything is ok. Assuming it is - any suggestions? Should we add more sequestrant? (We used the hth metal control as it was the only one with the recommended chemicals that we could get locally and after reading the above comments we knew we needed to get something in the pool asap. Next time we will get Jacks.)

Attachments

• brown slime.JPG
    brown slime.JPG
    147.2 KB · Views: 69
Also I now have before/after pics from shocking!

I think it is pretty obvious which is before and which is after. :lol:[attachment=1:1lrg378z]green swamp.png[/attachment:1lrg378z]

(ignore the sideways orientation!)

Attachments

• green swamp.png
    green swamp.png
    372.2 KB · Views: 63
  • sparkling.JPG
    sparkling.JPG
    167.3 KB · Views: 63
KatyO
You are an awesome friend! That pool looks amazing!
I find what seems to be the same gunk in my skimmer socks on a daily basis. We have a lot of trees near the pool, pretty similar to the trees I see in your pictures. I wonder if all that gunk could be pollen, not algae?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.