New test results

May 29, 2013
First, happy Father's Day to all dads and father figures out there! :-D

Now, for the nitty gritty. I have my results from my new TF100. For giggles, I went to local pool store to compare results right after.

TF 100 Pool store

FC 9.5. FAC 3
CC 0.5
TC 10.0
TA 120. 90
CH 500. 325
CYA. 100. 80
pH 7.2. 7.6
Copper. 0
Iron. 0
Phosphates. 0

Wow, what a difference! I am assuming tF 100 is more accurate. :-D

To me, it looks like Calcium and CYA are high and I need to do a 50% water exchange. Is that correct? I tested CYA with 50% tap and 50% pool water and got 60.

We have had the pool since march. Previous owners said they replaced water last year. Can that be true given the high levels? I don't believe what they say given other things I have discovered.

Anything else I should look out for?

Thanks! :cool:

Julia

Hold on!

Where are you located? If you have hard water, a 50% drain won't get you a 50% reduction in CH. It will, however, get you a 50% reduction in CYA.

My tap water is pretty hard - so I can expect to see CH climb about 25 ppm/week. If you started at 200, it is quite possible they got to 500 in a few months, especially if you live somewhere hot and dry. You may just have to accept CH outside the ideal target.

The CYA is quite believable. The previous owners probably used trichlor pucks and dichlor shock every week, just like the pool store said they should.

I'm in Southern California, land of hard water. So, since that is the case( hard water) what level of CH should I plan for my "new normal" of CH?

Previous owners had a pool service; not sure what they typically use.

Of note, I had 2 pucks in a floatie (just in case as chlorine level drops so quickly day to day), and it takes about 3 -4 weeks to dissolve. Pool temp 84.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.