pump not holding prime

Apr 30, 2012
Illinois
Our pump worked fine last year and now its not holding the prime. After several hours it doesnt move water at all. I can get it primed but it doesnt last longer then a few hours. I also have a lot of small bubbles coming into the return line. Pressure stays around 12 and I backwashed already. To keep it filtering I unplug it several times a day to keep water moving Ideas?

Yes it does seem to help. I thought maybe I didnt backwash it long enough when I first opened the pool so I have done it 2 times in the last few days. Oh and it spits dusty stuff when I plug asnd unplug it to keep it going.

What does the water look like?

When you say it does not hold prime, do you mean the pump basket fills up with air or that you just stop feeling water returning to the pool and the pump basket is full of water?

The water right now is cloudy. I had it clear but now with the pump issues its going south.

The side bucket is full of water and the pump is full as well it just doesnt keep the water flowing. If I dont plug and unplug it regually everything runs just wont keep the water moving out of the side return.

The pool came with the house when we bought it is it possible it needs new sand?

The pool came with the house when we bought it is it possible it needs new sand?
No, it does not need sand but, guessing just a little bit (not much), you need to shock the pool.

What's happening is all that junk that is making your water cloudy is getting caught in the filter and clogging the filter up.

The first step is for you to get a full set of test results and post those for us to look at. While you are doing that, please read "The ABC's of Pool Water Chemistry" up in Pool School then, read "How to Shock Your Pool". Study those articles...they are both essential to getting your pool cleared up.

I am virtually positive it is not your filter but your water chemistry that is out of whack.

OK did a long backwash for around 5 mins and a rinse. Alot of brown water came out but only for a min or so then it was clear again. But I have good water movement again. At least for now. gonna go get a pic of the filter. I'll be back to post it

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
I think you are right based on the pictures I saw online. There should be a gasket/o-ring in there as well.

What is the diameter of that filter (or the circumference or the model number)?

From the stickers Heres what I found. Im not sure it what you are looking for tho.

lasor sand filter:
51 Inches around the container
Model number is 160l-s1lr6-hk6
Filter area: 1.33 ft squared
height: 24.5 inch
tank diameter: 16 inches
filter: 27 GPM
Backwash: 20 GPM

Pump: Pentair PMP 1HP
part number: A-T2408610 and 0-177960-23

OK so it is the 160L, 16" diameter {Add that and your pump to your signature}

The reason I was looking for that was to see if your filter was a good size for your pool.

For a 11k gallon pool, we would recommend at least 2.1 sqft of filter area which is a 19.6" diameter filter.

So you are almost 40% smaller than we would recommend, which is a contributing factor to keeping the pool clear ... although the import thing to fix first is the chemistry as Dave just reminded you.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.