acid damage to rocks, or scale?

jeffreymlewis

LifeTime Supporter
Jul 24, 2012
Walnut Creek, CA, USA
Hello,

About a week ago I noticed what looks like calcium scale on one rock near my pool. Thing is, the white marks are way above the water line. This rock is near (within 2' of) the area where I drop chemicals (Cl, HCl, etc...).

Is it possible these white marks are damage caused by muriatic acid? If so, how can I prevent this from spreading? I've already brushed the rock and sprayed with copious amounts of water. (After brushing, the white marks disappear for a while, then reappear after the water dries.)

Here are some pictures.

Thanks,
Jeffrey

That looks like efflorescence....... minerals migrating to the surface from behind and evaporating/precipitating once they reach the surface.

Muriatic acid will clean it off. I don't think there is a cure other than time

Rocks are natural and absorb the minerals from the pool water. What you are seeing is calcium. Also into the mortar joints.

Try acid washing with a strong solution 1/3 acid water and a stiff brush. It should form or bubble.

Then balance your pool after the acid gets into the pool water.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.