Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Yellow on sides of pool

1. Back To Top    #1

Yellow on sides of pool

I have been doing BBB for a couple of months now, all of a sudden there is yellow stains around the return jets and on the sides of the pool where the water circulates. I don't have any vitamin C to check it yet but is it common to have this issue?

Is there something I should be doing regularly to help with this issue? How do I test for this issue?

I have not been perfect on keepign the chlorine consistent dailt, many times it gets down to 1 and I should be runnign at about 5-6 with CYA of about 50, but whenever I test for CC I get 0, does this mean this is not an algae problem?
    Attached Images Attached Images
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

2. Back To Top    #2
    If it brushes off it is probably algae, though algae is hardly ever really yellow. If it doesn't brush off it is probably a metal stain and you should do the vitamin C test to confirm that. What kind of pool surface do you have: plaster, pebble, vinyl, or fiberglass? Metal stains are fairly common on fiberglass, rarer on the other surfaces.

With CYA of 50 you never want to allow the FC level to go below 4.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3
    yeah it brushes off, so it is algae.

Is this a major issue? If i just keep the chlorine about 4 daily will the issue just go awayor do I need to shock it?
    12,000 Gallon
    Hayward 2HP Pump
    Solar Panel
    TF-100 Kit
    Built 2004, bought Dec 2007
    BBB All the Way

4. Back To Top    #4
    You probably need to shock. If you want to put it off you can brush everything clean and see if it comes back, but if it does come back you will need to shock.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School