Why test salt levels with strips vs cell reading?

Apr 14, 2013
Chandler, AZ
I have a Hayward AquaLogic control system with the T15 salt cell. It wants a salt level from 2700-3400 ppm.

I have seen it recommended on this site to disregard the T15 cell reading and use the test strips instead. My question is why? If my salt cell is happy with its reading and is generating chlorine then why do I care if it is reporting a salt level that is 300-400 ppm higher than the test strips? Do I really care what the actual salt level is if my cell is happy? Also, I have read that the test strips can sometimes be inaccurate, and then you add too much salt which is an even bigger problem to take care of.

My cell was reporting a salt level of 2900-3000 ppm while my test strips were showing about 2540. I added a 40 lb bag of salt and now the cell is reporting about 3200 ppm while my test strips are showing 2970. My concern is that if I use the test strips and get up to 3200 ppm, then my salt cell might be at 3500+ and shut down due to too much salt.

What are the benefits of having the salt at a certain level if my cell is happy?

I understand the recommendation to add more salt now due to splash out but that's really more for convenience. There is no difference between adding that additional salt now or adding it later when the level gets too low.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.