Substitute for factory o-ring

crek31

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jun 28, 2009
I break my pool down every season and this year somehow we lost an o-ring for our Pentair SuperFlo pump. The pool is full and has been for a week, so I really need to get this pump going sooner than later. Because of my unorthodox set-up, no legit pool store will touch my pool or equipment with a ten foot pole. So I have this flakey free-lance pool guy who basically does a good job, but never returns phone calls, no-shows for days on end with no communication, etc. Supposedly he was going to have the o-ring I need and install it today. Just got home and the pool is untouched. I have lost faith he's going to come through before I go green or my kids overthrow the government for not being able to swim or play basketball (the pool is on their court).

I can order the part on-line and wait til Friday to hopefully get it, or I can pay a ton in shipping to get it Thursday. No local pool stores stock the part, I've called them all.

My QUESTION is: is it likely I can go to Home Depot or a plumbing place and get an o-ring that will work? It is number 15 on the Pentair SuperFlo part diagram found here:

http://www.inyopools.com/partimages/877 ... xwidth=650

Anyone have a quick idea to get this going well enough to start the pump and heater, even if it is only temporary. That way I can order the real part and wait for shipping but get things started while it is on its way.

I have heard of some take a larger o-ring of the correct diameter (the material, not the ring overall). You make a clean cut (sharp knife) and use super-glu to glue the ring to the correct diameter.

Thanks. If he doesn't show tonight I'll try to find something at lunchtime tomorrow. Not sure it gets me anywhere since I am not confident enough to try to get the heater started for the year, but at least if I have all the parts I have a chance of getting this going soon. Thanks again!

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.