2 TVs damage from?

kyle11

May 17, 2012
So we got home this evening our lights out by the pool were not on. They are on a timer so I went out to inspect. Gfci was tripped. 1st time since installing 8 months ago it has tripped. So I come in and my wife tells my our Epson projector is not working. I take it down and inspect the bulb and it is fine. It is getting power but does not come on. After exhausting everything I know to try we go to the kitchen to get a drink and turn on the plasma kitchen tv. Low and behold it is doing the same thing. Keeps turning on and off but no picture. Everything else seems to be working fine. We did have bad storms earlier while we was out so I am thinking lightning. What do y'all think? It is about $4k in equipment so I guess I will be calling the insurance agent Monday. I better stop by the store though to get some lube because I know I am gonna need it.

Yep sounds like lightning, I lost a TV and the solar heat controller on my pool to a ZAP last month, the sad thing was I had just installed new solar panels and the solar controller had only been up and running for 2 or 3 days when this happened.

Isaac-1 said:
Yep sounds like lightning, I lost a TV and the solar heat controller on my pool to a ZAP last month, the sad thing was I had just installed new solar panels and the solar controller had only been up and running for 2 or 3 days when this happened.
Did you file a claim?

Now we are finding other odd things. Our dish hopper will not display a picture but will play audio. Also can watch stuff on its HDd on another hopper in the house. I haven't checked the pool pump but I am fixing to.

kyle11 said:
Isaac-1 said:
Did you file a claim?

It was not enough to be worth worrying with the headache, the controller replacement was a bit over $200 (control box only) and the TV was on its last legs anyway, I think it was 8 or 9 years old.

Filed the claim and talked to the insurance company today. I have to take the projector to a repair man to verify it was struck by lightning and is beyond reasonable repair because it is a $3000 projector. They don't care about the $1000 plasma, they said they would just pay it because it was pretty much a throw away item. From the sound of things I shouldn't have any problems after that, may just have to slip the repair guy a Benjamin to make sure he writes it off as not reparable because the last thing I want is to get it repaired and have it fail down the road soon because I know the insurance company will not honor it. I have read some electronics that get hit do not show signs but days or weeks down the road so I hope that is all that has been damaged.

The tv repair guy gave us a lightning affidavit today. Turns out the HDMI port was shot and the motherboard on the projector was fried. Ending up only costing $20. He said not feasible to repair. So now we wait on the insurance. Shouldn't take to long hopefully.

Heard from insurance claim dept today. Ended up being $3200 after depreciation. We have replacement insurance so if we buy the same products or one with similar specs we can get up to an additiinal $500 if we give them the receipts for anything over the amounts they gave us after depreciation up to $3700. Overall pretty happy with the service Allstate provided. Filed the claim Sunday online and money should be direct deposited tomorrow.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Seanhan said:
We lost a 1 month old dishwasher in april during a storm, main Board smoked .. It was the only appliance in the house under Warranty !!! Woo-Hooo .... Fixed for free ...

Wow that's lucky. I didn't think warranties covered lightning. Did the store or manufacture fix it?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.