New Pool New Pool Owner

May 29, 2013
Just bought a new home with my first pool. We are still closing but I have been out to check the pool. I am trying to keep the pool in decent shape. Here are the water test results.
FC 4
TC 4
CH 350
CYA 200
TA 120
PH 7.4
Pho 1000
Pool does get a lot of direct sun shine. It had some leaves etc in bottom and when I swept it it seemed like it had a layer of dust on the bottom, which I am assuming is actually algae. Water was pretty clear.
Any suggests on what I need to do to maintain the pool and get it back into swimming shape would be great. Thanks

:wave: Welcome to TFP!

Those smell of pool store test results. Order one of the recommended test kits while you are waiting and keep reading Pool School. A large water replacement is likely in your future.

First thing would be to read pool school a few times located at the top right of every page and order one of the recommended test kits found on this forum.you also need to get your cya down to a manageable level 40-50ppm for a non swg pool and the only way to do that is by partial drain and refill.it will cost so much more to try to shock your pool at the current cya level assuming the readings you supplied are correct......Mike

Isaac-1 said:
With a CYA level of 200 (how did you get this reading, most tests only read up to 100)?

You are going to likely need to drain off and replace about 3/4 of the water
Brought a water sample to Leslie's Pool supplies and had them test it. Sounds like I should get another sample.

Indeed the results were from a pool store Leslie's Pool supplies. They tried to sell me a 75 dollar of "stuff" to deal with the high pho levels and never mentioned the cya levels. It sounds like I would be better off to drain the pool power wash it and start over. Would that be a good plan of action?

It could be a good plan of action, if it is truly needed. The $75 dollars suggested to be spent to remove phosphates from your pool would be much better spent ordering your own test kit. Phosphates are food for algae, but if you have no algae through proper pool maintenance it doesn't matter how much food there is. Bottom line is the pool store wants to sell you chemicals, this forum is all about testing your pool and adding only what you need.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.