Baths after swimming/green hair/infamous chlorine free pool

harleysilo

TFP Expert
LifeTime Supporter
Mar 1, 2012
North Georgia
So we are a solid month into swim season (our second year) and I’m sitting outside last night talking with my wife while looking at the pool and we have the following conversation:

Wife: “Are you going to give the kids a bath tonight? (Bath’s are my duty)

Loving Husband: “They’ve been swimming for a half hour they should be clean and sterile!”

Wife: “Well, they need their hair washed we don’t want it to turn green!”

Laughing Husband: “It’s not the chlorine in the water that turns hair green, it’s dissolved copper of which we have none.”

Wife: “Okay well since we don’t have Chlorine don’t you think you should wash off the salt”

I’m also amazed at the guests who inquire that it’s a salt water pool and think that no chlorine is used. I tried to explain it last year but learned my lesson. And I’ll never mention bleach again (unless I sense a scientific logical conversation can be had with said guest).

Re: Baths after swimming/green hair/infamous chlorine free p

We have had the same issue. I have tried to explain the Salt Water concept a few times, and the listener tunes out pretty quickly. It is hard to convince them that there is still chlorine in the pool, especially when things are well balanced.

I know the feeling, it does not help how the SWG makers market their products either, often with creative marketing spin as to imply they are not chlorine paraphrasing: "Get rid of having to handle harsh Chlorine chemicals, use our SWG which provides proven elemental sanitizer simply by passing electrical current through salt water"

"It still has chlorine in it. The chlorine is just generated from the salt water running through the salt water system."

That seems to satisfy everyone I've talked to.

Bleach on the other hand... With my coworker, if I told him the grass is green, he would argue. Heck, he argues with you even if you completely agree with him. I am now stuck in an office with him and I've tried to teach him on using bleach and what CYA and stabilizer is vs. floating 3 or 4 pucks around. Tried to tell him about the TF-100 kit also, but he uses the 3-way test strips and it tells him "exactly how much chlorine is in the pool." He sticks to his guns in that, "sure, you can use bleach and get acceptable results, but there are better products out there."

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.