Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas replacement

Neal

Jul 11, 2012
SW Michigan
I have 3 Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas pumps on my pool and one has gone bad. The bad pump was my main circulation pump (the other two are for jets in a seating area and a fountain). Since all 3 pumps are the same I switched out the bad one so I have main pump circulation again. So, now I have to replace or repair the bad pump. My first question is, "what is a direct replacement for the Sta-Rite Max-E-Glas U27-880 1HP pump?". My second question is, "should I upgrade at this time and get a variable speed pump? If so, recommendations?". Finally, yes I thought about repair. The problem with the pump was very low water flow and significant squeeling. I took the bad pump apart and the diffuser was cracked/broken. I thought that this would be an easy repair, so I removed it, reassembled the unit just to see if that was the noise problem. Nope, still squeeling, so I think the motor is bad and that is the most expensive replacement. Any help and input would be appreciated.

Thanks,
Neal E.

Since you have separate pumps for the jets, you need very little flow for the circulation and filtration. I would certainly consider going with a small 2-speed to be run almost exclusively on low for circulation. Unless you power is very expensive, you may not save enough $ on power to justify the cost increase from a 2-speed to a VS.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.