The pool cleaner ($388) vs dolphin dx5 ($750)

You are comparing a suction only cleaner to a suction + Electric model. The suction + Electric model is always going to clean better....is it worth it...I think its a personal opinion. I've never had issues with my pool and a suction cleaner myself.

Why will it be better? I'm missing what the electronic cleaner is going to do that the suction cleaner is not. Also, I see u have a Hayward nav. How do you like it? Lot of negative reviews on the cost of maintenance for the nav, what's been your experience?

Do you have a dedicated suction line installed in your pool? It seems to me that if you have already spent the money to install the dedicated suction line the Pool Cleaner is the way to go. It has pretty good reviews and will likely require much less (and cheaper) maintenance than the robot would.

The Zodiac MX-8 is also another suction cleaner that gets good reviews ... and with rebate only $300.

I personally had it narrowed down to the PC2 and the MX8 if I go with a suction cleaner.

Liked the Dynamic a lot (has split rollers and 2 motors, so it can actively turn), seems to be dead after 3.5 years. Then was considering ordering a suction cleaner to try and save some money, but FIL had the Diagnostic that he did not like and gave it to use to use (or maybe keep). It has a single motor, moves slower, keeps wanting to float and seems to get stuck in pattern. It work fine for being free, but if I bought again, I would want the split rollers.

Kind of gets old putting the robot in and out of the water, but with the suction side you would end up having to do the same if you did not want to be swimming with it.

I was basing my suction choices on the reviews / discussions I have seen here, so admittedly did not do a lot of research after getting the other robot.

I called the manufacturer of The Pool Cleaner and they don't suggest you swim with it. So you have a pool cleaner with 40 foot of hose that you have to horse out of the pool and, I guess, lay on the side of your pool. I suppose this is true with any suction cleaner. With a robot you (may) have a caddy and your pulling wire instead of hose.

dunno, If I spend $750 for a 3.5 year robot life I'll be very disappointed. I have to take a look at my credit cards, maybe one of them will add some extra protection.

vinouspleasure said:
Why will it be better? I'm missing what the electronic cleaner is going to do that the suction cleaner is not. Also, I see u have a Hayward nav. How do you like it? Lot of negative reviews on the cost of maintenance for the nav, what's been your experience?

Actually upgraded to the mx8 recently...haven't updated my signature line yet.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Yup pretty disappointed in the life. I actually got mine from Costco, but they do not seem to have had any robots for sale the last few years.

I have not taken the time to see determine exactly what is wrong with it and whether I can fix it myself.

I checked costco too. bjs has an aquabot but I just don't have enough data on the brand or their model. It looks like my credit card co offers and extra 12 months of coverage which would cover me for 3 years.

dunno, I'm going to make a decision over the next 2 weeks.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.