Need help opening pool

Aug 3, 2012
Ok so my pool cover had to be let loose due to they rain we had here it was too tight and bowing the walls on our pool, above ground,
So now I have got the cover out and will be filling water in and putting my pump on. Maybe I did this backward but here are my test numbers with OUT the pool topped off

Cc- 1
FC- 0
Ta-40
Ph-6.8
Ch-40
Cya- filled whole tube started to get cloudy but still could see dot.

The water isn't clear little greenish want to get on this before it gets bad. I guess I'm unsure how much chlorine I need to start with. And what other things I should add to start being the ta and the ph. I did go to calculator it's the chlorine I'm unsure of and do I worry about the ta right now?

AG, 13000 gallons'24 round , Hayward pool filter 1.5 hp, cartridge filter, installed aug 2010, I am in Michigan.
If someone could tell me how to add this to my post at bottom without typing every time that would be awesome!

carolvk12 said:
Ok so my pool cover had to be let loose due to they rain we had here it was too tight and bowing the walls on our pool, above ground,
So now I have got the cover out and will be filling water in and putting my pump on. Maybe I did this backward but here are my test numbers with OUT the pool topped off

Cc- 1
FC- 0
Ta-40
Ph-6.8
Ch-40
Cya- filled whole tube started to get cloudy but still could see dot.

The water isn't clear little greenish want to get on this before it gets bad. I guess I'm unsure how much chlorine I need to start with. And what other things I should add to start being the ta and the ph. I did go to calculator it's the chlorine I'm unsure of and do I worry about the ta right now?

AG, 13000 gallons'24 round , Hayward pool filter 1.5 hp, cartridge filter, installed aug 2010, I am in Michigan.
If someone could tell me how to add this to my post at bottom without typing every time that would be awesome!

You are VERY wise to get out in front of your pool water.

1. Raise your pH up to 7.4 with 20 mule team borax (use the poolcalculator.com.....the TA will come up as well and will be fine)

2. Put in enough CYA to get to 30ppm. Don't test, just assume it's there.

3. Consult the FC/CYA chart in Pool School and it will tell you to bring your FC up to 12 ppm to start the shock process. Continually add FC until your water is crystal clear.

More things to do later but that gets you a head start

2. Put in enough CYA to get to 30ppm. Don't test, just assume it's there.

Ok so once i put it in just assume its there? when I tested this i filled the tube to the top and still could see the dot. I will buy enough cya stablizer to bring it up to 30..should I use liquid or powder?

So keep my level at 12 for fc until water clears? so how often should I be testing the chlorine levels at this point? hourly? a few hours ,daily?

And why doesnt the pool calculator work on my iphone?
Thanks sooo much

And Ps once the cover was out of the pool the water didnt look green anymore. its not clear but its not green :) the bottom of cover is green and it shadowed in the water.. the gunk on top of cover was green but my hubby scooped it out with his hand bless his heart so it wouldnt go in the pool

Powder. No reason to pay for liquid stabilizer. Too expensive.
Yes, 12 hourly if you can. The more often you can test and adjust to hold it at 12 the faster it will clear.
You can get an app for the I phone I believe...

I added 24 oz of the stabilizer so far via sock in skimmer. Well second sock full if dissolving now.
Question with chorine level at 12-13 does this skew the ph reading? I was only able to add half the amount of borax as that's all I had on had last night. Do you dissolve that first? Or just sprinkle it in? I had tons of clumps I had to bust up, will that harm the vinyl liner if pieces sit on it? My ph rose from just the half dose I added, or not trustworthy? With higher chlorine levels?

Pool is looking clear (Can see the lining great on the bottom ) Been running the pump 24 hours a day. Can I back down on filter now that it is clear? How many hours? water is cold below 60 now.

I have added 40 oz of CYA in pool. according to pool school I need 54 oz to bring to 30 ppm if i was actually at 0 when i started..I tested like I said but seems funny I would be at 0 when last year i ran high? Should I add the rest or wait and retest? How long does it take to have cya register one week?

I have been keeping chlorine at about 12.. I added yesterday at noon and 24 hours later I am at 10.5 (couldnt test) do you think I need to keep keeping at at 12?
I am running out of drops for my kit and ordered on friday night so after a day I wont be able to tell what level I am at .

also the bleach i just bought is 128 oz equivalant to 182 oz so obviously if i use pool school I would be dosing higher with this? why do they confuse us with smaller jugs but like bigger. ugh

chlorine 10.5
cc .5
havent tested other numbers again from shocking process.

i will wait to hear if I
a. should add rest cya?
b. can let chlorine come down and what level?
c. if I can run filter less now?
d. if chlorine at 12 skews ph reading?

Thanks for all you do here on pool school

a. wait till end of the week, retest CYA and see where you are at.
b. I wouldn't let the FC drop until you confirm the FC is holding overnight
c. filter should run until the shock process is complete. You are done shocking when: You lose less than 1ppm of FC overnight; your CC is .5 or less and your water is clear. At that time you can run your filter under a normal schedule and allow the FC to drop down to normal levels.
d. No, in your case I don't believe a FC of 12 will skew your PH.

With regard to the bottle sizes - there is a drop down menu to select the various bottle sizes....

Heres how my numbers are today..I think my pool is doing awesome..thanks to this site

fc 10
cc 0
ph 7.4
ta 90
ch 100
cya 50

I think Im spot on.. was vacumming the pool yesterday and I had diamonds reflecting on the water..that my friend is awesome to see..water looks clear I am gonna check tonight how I fair with loss of chlorine and then let her drop a if i hold.
I am glad I didnt add all the cya I was going to becuz I would of over done it.
CH at 100 seems good to me from reading on the pages..if anyone thinks its not let me know please.

THANKS to whom ever helped me

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.