Replacing sand filter with cartridge

Jun 29, 2012
I have decided to replace our sand filter ( it is old and leaks a bit around the pressure gauge ) with a cartridge filter.

I am doing a lot of reading on how to size it and want to get some feed back and a bit of help.

Relevant info:

- in ground pool, vinyl liner
- salt water generator
- 12,000 gallons ( best estimate )
- 3/4 horse pump
- current plumbing is all 1.5"

I found an article that suggests that I need between 100 sq ft and 200 sq ft of filter area for a pool/pump this size.

What I found that seems to match this is: http://www.poolplaza.com/P-HAY-05-162.html which is a Hayward Star-Clear Plus Cartridge Filter , 120 Sq. Ft., 2 FIP (C12002).

Does anyone have experience with this filter and or see an error in my approach?

Cheers!

I recommend getting the largest filter you have room for and can afford. Larger filters can go longer between cleanings and just slightly improve the efficiency of the plumbing system.

My pool is not quite twice as large and my filter is not quite twice as large and I certainly wish that there had been more room on the equipment pad so I could have gotten a larger filter.

hi frustratedpoolmom - we live in nebraska and have the pool closed for more months than it is open. when we pull off the cover in the spring it is very icky. to that end we will install a "waste" valve that allows us to pump directly out of the pool onto the ground. it sounds awful to do this but the leaves and junk are impossible to "filter" out otherwise.

I am not sure how I would use a recirculate.

Having given up my money I think I am pretty much in for the long run with the cartridge. I will report back on frustrations. I am hoping that filter cleanings are no more than monthly once we get rolling.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.