Help! Is this a poor safety fence installation? (Pics)

Mar 20, 2013
I'm hoping someone with any temporary fence knowledge can take a look at these images and give some advice. We had this fence (baby loc) installed by a local pool company. They were the only company in my area that installs these types of fences. And it's so unpopular in my area that this is only his 2nd installation. I'm not happy with the results but not sure if I'm just being picky.

Fence leans out in 2 areas:
3257D4DC-2A53-43ED-80A0-39010CAED967-6689-00000ACD0FD71979.jpg

Fence leaning out:
92E76E41-4A18-456F-9B52-0EC9CE1400C6-6689-00000ACCFE15FACD.jpg

They had to make a smaller section & it doesn't look like a professional worked in it:
47911569-D7C9-4272-992D-2DBE7388EB41-6689-00000ACD537B726F.jpg

I'd say about half of the fence looks decent. But there are a couple panels that wobble or sway like they're not tight enough. We spent over $3k on this and I'm really disappointed. Can anyone please give me their 2 cents?

These pics were taken 2 hours after the installers left. I'm not sure what to do at this point since they drilled into the concrete... Aside from having them re-drill for the whole fence?? I'm not sure if this is fixable. Im quite upset.

You should be upset. I would be too! The installer actually finished the job, stepped back and looked at it,................and said........ "Good job, I'm done". I'd be on the phone.
That wouldn't be acceptable if I'd done it myself, much less paid somebody to do it "right".

I would contact them immendiately. Depending on how they react, you could mention the Better Business Bureau. I would also look at the manufacturer of the fence's website to see if there is any mention of install technique.

I agree... we actually contemplated getting a different fence and installing ourselves but I knew it would be tricky with the curvature of the pool so I figured I'd spend the extra $ on having it professionally installed. If I didn't care if it looked like junk I would've attempted it myself!

I actually just emailed the contractor with the pictures and a long explanation of what I want fixed. In the past he's been slow to respond so I don't expect this to be any different. But great idea mentioning the BBB.

We still owe him half of the cost of installation and I don't want to pay him until he comes back to fix these issues.

I'm sorry you have to suffer with that fence installation. The fence should be vertical and very snug all around. Each of those panels can be adjusted for the snugness but the vertical problem is your main issue. They needed to drill the holes with some type of jig that sets up the angle required for each post. It looks like they drilled them by freehand and were absolutely drunk as a skunk while doing it. It is hard for me to believe they could have been that far off even drilling by free hand. Myself, I would drill over sized holes in the right spot and make sure the were at the right angel, then make new bushings that would fit. I'm a machinist, so that would be the easy fix for me. Hopefully you can come to a resolution that works for everyone involved. Leaving it as is, is not one of them.

ping said:
I'm sorry you have to suffer with that fence installation. The fence should be vertical and very snug all around. Each of those panels can be adjusted for the snugness but the vertical problem is your main issue. They needed to drill the holes with some type of jig that sets up the angle required for each post. It looks like they drilled them by freehand and were absolutely drunk as a skunk while doing it. It is hard for me to believe they could have been that far off even drilling by free hand. Myself, I would drill over sized holes in the right spot and make sure the were at the right angel, then make new bushings that would fit. I'm a machinist, so that would be the easy fix for me. Hopefully you can come to a resolution that works for everyone involved. Leaving it as is, is not one of them.

I was thinking they drilled the completely wrong angle. It's like they didn't know what they were doing... and maybe they didn't but if I go to a company's website (Baby Loc by loop loc) and they list you has a certified dealer I would assume you've been properly trained! Ugh!

Yeah, so I have no idea what you mean by 'new bushings' (not a machinist here!) but I'm glad to hear you think it's fixable.

Anyway, check out this video of one of the loose panels:
www.youtube.com/watch?v=l8CaIALzAG8

BAD!

The holes in the cement need to be drilled out larger and then a larger bushing, or sleeve, that fits in the cement needs to be installed. I would think they might have larger bushings for this purpose because you certainly are not the only one who has had holes put in wrong.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.