Removal of Copper Ionizer on Intex Sand filter/SWG 56681EG

vthokie67

LifeTime Supporter
Apr 10, 2013
Brandy Station, VA
Folks,
I've got to tell you I have been following this forum for about a week and I can't tell you how impressed I am with the knowledge of the contributors, and respect with which everyone treats each other. Truly impressive, so much so that I feel emboldened to take on my own Intex build/mod to replace an Easy Set that burst at the seam 2 years ago.
I have an Intex 22' Ultra Frame and Intex Sand filter/SWG/pump combo (56681EG) that has the copper ionizer. I plan to hard plumb the system with 1.5" PVC. Adhering to the advice in this forum, I plan to NOT use the copper ionizer and wish to remove it altogether.
I have read many posts where the user has disconnected the wire harness, and others where the user has cut out the copper plates. What I haven't run across is information about completely eliminating the ionizer tube from the path between the pump and sand filter, and hard plumbing this junction.
While disconnecting the wire harness will disable the unit, I noticed that inlet to the ionizer tube has a molded grate and an opening of only 1-1/4". I would think that these two "features" would restrict the flow out of the pump considerably.

My questions are:
Is there any reason to NOT completely remove the copper ionizer tube from the filter system?
Are there any pictures of what the mod looks like?
Are people simply making their own rubber gaskets for these PVC-to-Intex unions, or are they ordering additional L-shaped washers from Intex?
Am I asking the right questions? :eek:

Thanks for being there for aquatic recreationally challanged!

Re: Removal of Copper Ionizer on Intex Sand filter/SWG 56681

vthokie67 said:
I would think that these two "features" would restrict the flow out of the pump considerably.
While there is certainly some reduction in flow, the reduction is minimal and not generally worth thinking about. If you like to tinker and really want to go for it, great. But most people are better off just disconnecting the cable and leaving the copper section in place.

Re: Removal of Copper Ionizer on Intex Sand filter/SWG 56681

Like to tinker? I had the jumbo tinkertoys when I was little :p

Any tinkerers who have done this, and what type of washers are you using for this union and other Intex-to-PVC unions?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.