Hayward DE EC 75 shows no pressure

Apr 14, 2013
I bought the house in August and the filter has not worked properly since we moved in. Today I did some research and I took the top off and cleaned all the tubes; there was stuff caked at the top and of course the tubes were nasty. Who ever setup this filter system did not make it easy because we have to cut the PVC pipe just to take the lid off. So we have put in new pipe, we removed the shut off valve because of how they plumbed it we were not able to add it back. We are getting absolutely no pressure and the pump is not filling up correctly with water. The pump is about half full and I can hear water running in the filter. If we open the backwash water comes streaming out and if I open the small valve at the top water will come pouring out. Why do we not have a full basket in the pump and showing no pressure on the filter?

First time I have ever owned a house with a pool, first DE filter of all my friends and family and I am completely lost. We have had 2 service technicians come out. One new nothing about the system and basically told me he would have to start off from the ground up. The second one said the type of filter I had was not cleanable and I would have to replace the filter. He recommended a paper filter. I really do not want to give up the DE and I was positive he was wrong about not being able to clean but now that I have researched and cleaned it ... I am lost... help... thanks!!!

I suspect your problem is that your pump isn't priming rather than a filter issue.

The best way to plumb around your equipment is to use threaded unions so you don't have to cut things to move or replace things.

I also have a spa pump and when I turn it on the filter fires nut show any pressure either. The spa pump basket fills with water like it should there is no filtration in the spa so I don't know if that makes a difference. I saw a video on you tube that had the unions you mentioned and I will be switching them the next time I clean the filter.

If the spa pump did not go through the filter, then it is no surprise that there is no pressure on the gauge.

Really the only way to have air in the pump, is that there is a suction leak between the pool and pump: is the pool water level high enough above the bottom of the skimmer? Is the skimmer weir getting stuck? Those are a possible source of air.

Did you lube the o ring on the pump lid? Is the drain plug on they pump tight?

How long did you run the pump and still not purge all the air?

What is the height of the pool water relative to the pump?

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Have you read the manual for the EC75? Perhaps your pressure gauge is bad, have you tried replacing it, they can be bought online (ebay, etc.) for $10 or so. Perhaps some photos of your layout would be helpful

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.