Best Way to Heat in NY- will a heat pump be effective?

Aug 23, 2009
Spring Valley, NY
I live in Rockland County NY , and am looking to heat my in ground pool (35k gallons)
Due to trees and the path of the sun, we get very little sunlight (a few hours a day at best) on the pool.
I'm looking to keep the water temperature 10 degrees higher than it currently is, and was thinking of buying a heat pump (with solar cover)
What attracted me most to it is the low cost to run (even if gas works out cheaper , knowing what it costs to turn it on, would deter me from using it too much)
Also I like the low cost of installation
However I read that heat pumps use the outside air, and thus are not effective in cold areas.
the average temperatures during the times that I'd be looking to swim are 70-85 degrees.

Is this a good fit?
What do you recommend?

thx

For mid-summer heating a heat pump is fine even in northern NY. But for extending the swim season into the spring and fall it doesn't work out as well. Heat pumps lose efficiency quickly as the air temperature falls. Mid-summer that isn't much of an issue, but in the spring and fall the air temperature can be low enough to cause issues.

JasonLion said:
For mid-summer heating a heat pump is fine even in northern NY. But for extending the swim season into the spring and fall it doesn't work out as well. Heat pumps lose efficiency quickly as the air temperature falls. Mid-summer that isn't much of an issue, but in the spring and fall the air temperature can be low enough to cause issues.

thx
just so I'm understanding correctly - would June , July , Aug be considered "mid summer"
I just looked up the avg temperatures
http://www.homefacts.com/weather/New-Yo ... straw.html
and they're roughly 70-75 degrees (and colder at night)

At what temperatures is it a problem with heat pumps? (looking to keep pool @ 80degrees)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.