I Think I Have a Pump Problem...

So what was the final step that stopped the leaks in your opinion - the silicon grease on the o-ring?

Funny that my Sta-Rite manual (OLD) specifically states not to use any kind of lubricants on their o-rings as they tend to attract dirt, reducing life of o-ring, etc. But EVERYwhere else, I see to put grease on these.

I also have a leak on my Sta-Rite pump, so just curious to see what it was that finally fixed it for you. I have not taken mine apart yet, but will do so today.

Thanks - very helpful thread!

With the size of the leak in the pictures, I have to think the oring was slipping out of its channel ... the grease was really more to hold it in the correct place I think. Although if you turned the pump on end, you may not have that problem.

Yes, the lubricant was sticky and allowed the ring to stay in the channel while I put it together and tightened the bolts. But I think it was really the combo of that plus totally disconnecting the pump from the PVC and turning it up on end so that gravity wasn't working against me so much.

Even then, given the electrical hook up I never got more that about a 45 degree angle on the pump but it was enough for me. Given the slightly oversized circumference of the ring I don't think I would have had success otherwise.

It's just another example of an experienced voice here on this board reminding me to do the right thing that I have in the back of my head but don't want to do. Happened 2x to me on this job.
1) Take it all apart and fully clean out the impeller when I wanted to just grab what I could get from the exterior
2) Disconnect it so I could reseat the ring properly when I wanted just to retighten or slap some sealant on it.
Both are common sense but that didn't stop me from wanting to avoid doing them. Both exposure my fear of these types of jobs...way beyond what I am comfortable doing.

Thanks again.
Howard

My adventure didn't turn out so well. Tried just tightening bolts to see if that would affect leak, but nope. Opened pump catch basin, took out basket and felt around for leaves - clean.

So I put everything back together, hit the power, and SCREEEEE!!!! :(

Smelled what I assume was the motor burned out. Opened catch basin and saw wisps of smoke.

Thus endeth my pool pump tinkering. At least I know that it was on its last legs anyway, and prob motor as well. Both looked to be in horrible shape.

Not a TapAtalk Sig

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.