Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Home Foreclosure Crisis leading to pool crisis!

1. Back To Top    #1

Home Foreclosure Crisis leading to pool crisis!

Anyone see ABC news yesterday....? Interesting story about all the homes that have been in foreclosure and the problem of abandoned pools, and the related swampy mosquito problems....how California is combatting the issue by giving out free mosquito fish.

I really feel for those people. The ones that lost their homes, and the homeowner that inherits the nasty surprise out back....
    Helpful links: Pool School; CYA/Chlorine Chart
    24' round AG pool, 52" high, Raypak heater; Waterway 2 spd Pump;
    150 Sq ft. Clearwater Cartridge Filter; Former and DISSATISFIED "Pool Frog" owner
    http://www.PerfectlyClearPoolService.com

2. Back To Top    #2

They had to do this in New Orleans after Hurricane Katrina too...
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

3. Back To Top    #3

What is a mosquito fish?
    20x40 IG vinyl, heatpump and solar and 3 siberian huskies, 10kw PV solar electric system. Nikon Photographer D800e dSLR.

4. Back To Top    #4

I think they are small fish that love nothing better than to eat mosquitoe larvae off the surface of the water... I assume chlorine would kill them but since these pools likely have no chlorine anyway, tossing them into a pool would likely prevent the pool from spawning any mosquitos... Probably be a pain to fish them all out though if you bought the house!
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

Here's an interesting link...

http://www.fishpondinfo.com/mosq.htm
    Fortune favors the well prepared

The build...
    viewtopic.php?t=3974
    Freeform 24' x 38' IG gunite. 3 1/2' to 8' deep. 28,500 gallons. AutoPilot Total Control SWCG. Pentair Intelliflo VF. Pentair CCP520 cartridge filter. Colorlogic LED lights. Tahoe Blue Diamond Brite. 1200 sq ft stamped concrete deck.
    More details as they happen...

6. Back To Top    #6
    There is someone here on this forum dealing with this right now. I think the post reads help large pond supposed to be a pool or something like that. They had those fish in the pool.eeewww
    14x33 fiberglass freeform
    Variable speed Pentair intelliflo superpump
    420 Clean and Clear Plus cartridge filter.
    pool-school/pool_calculator , http://www.tftestkits.net/

7. Back To Top    #7
    My friend is in escrow on a house with a pool that has already had the mosquito fish added. The fish are added to eat mosquito larvae to mainly help prevent any outbreak of West Nile virus. If he gets the house I'll be helping with his pool. I haven't seen the pool personally, so I don't know how much fish was added.
    30K gal. IG Free form
    Cartridge Filter, Solar and Gas Heater
    Using BBB

8. Back To Top    #8
    Ahhhhh those mosquito fish look like guppies,LOL I think I have caught those before and added them in my aquarium.
    *~ Laura ~*
    27x52 Aquasphere Conquest AGP (approx.17,100 gal)
    1 HP Pentair Dynamo Pump & SD-40 Sand Filter
    TF-100 Test Kit
    BBB User- Salt Added

9. Back To Top    #9
    yep, thats what they are, guppies, and they breed like rabbits. so if you can't go swimming you can always go fishing
    Hello all from the land of smiles. Thailand. 5mx9mx1.5 63000L 16300 gall, pebbletex,
    pentair 1hp whisperflow, tagelus TA60 SF, swg monarch esc24 {a bit small for the tropics} 3 returns, 1 skimmer, 2 astral 100watt lights. Planned and built by me
    an AUSSIE expat living thailand for 18 years.