Trouble getting chlorine to hold

I have no clue why your pH would inexplicably drop to 6.8 or less from the 7.5 you posted 5 days ago. Your Alk result is in error...did you mean 30?

I still suspect the 40 CYA test result may be in error....you seem to be losing your FC during the day and not much at night.

going to keep it at 20 1 more night and see what happens
If it continues to lose FC after one more night, what are your plans after that?

Dave- you are correct I am losing more at night- disregard the ph alk readings- I think I am so tired that I must have mixed something worng- went back out and retested and ph 7.5 alk 100. I plan to get out at 6 am and get 2 water samples. One I will do a full range of tests on and the other I will take to pool store at 8am. I just do not know what else to do. On top of that my husband has set timer to turn pump off at midenite and back on at 6am. There is no persuading him any different- however if the pool gets cloudy I will divorce him. Need a large dose of POP

I like your plan. Doing your own tests and then getting the pool store results will be helpful. Don't be surprised if the PS tests are off from yours pretty significantly....no worries...we'll trust your own testing.

I am really most interested in your CYA test. Do that one carefully and tell the pool store that's the one that you're most interested in as well.

Post those up and we'll all help you get this issue resolved and you'll have a Troublefree Pool! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Well- pump was off for about 6 hrs during night 12-6 am. I tested water at about 6:30 am just as sun was coming up and also got a ample to take to pool store

MY readings
FC- 19
cc-1
ALK- 90
ph- 7.6
CH- 250
CYA-45

Pool Store
FC- she did not write down
CC 2.5
ph 7.9
alk- 80
ch- 250
stabilizer- 10ppm

Ok- so I am now home collecting another sample and will take it to the people that put my pool in and see what they get. I also took a sample to local Leslies this am however they could not test because my chlorine level was over 5. When I mention diluting he looked like he was not certain what I meant so I did not go any further. I will post readings later thia pm that I get and that the pool store gets-

Unable to get to other pool store. At 1 pm I tested again
FC- 14
cc-1 (barely pink 1 drop to clear diluted 1:1)

I checked CYA 2 times and got the same reading of 40. I am using new chemical that I got last Tuesday. Losing CYA makes sense. I added 192 oz of bleach.

At 7:30 pm I tested again

FC- 13
CC-1 again b(barely pink 1 drop to clear diluted 1:1)

At this point I am wondering if I add no bleach tonite and test again at dawn and see if there is any drop. At that point I am wondering about using some pucks instead of bleach. I do not have any stabilizer but will go out and buy some if you think I should use that instead of pucks to raise CYA. About 2 summers ago I had a problem with high (180) CYA which took me most of the summer to lower by partial emptying and refilling. Dont want to go there again but I also would like my bleach to hold.
Weather is very hot and sunny- 90"s with heat index 97 today- pool is in full sun all afternoon. I will wait to hear from someone- I am at a lose as to how to proceed.

One drop of CC is usually not a problem. We always say 0.5 or lower because most people do the test as 0.5 per drop.

Check your FC level in the evening and again in the morning and see if you lose any. If it remains the same then you are good.

Because measuring CYA is sometimes a squirely thing...I often get more than one opinion on the visual test. After I test and get the # I think it is, I pour it back in the sample bottle and then ask the rest of the family what they get. I'm not sure about you, but my eyes have changed quite a bit over the past few years and they aren't what they used to be :lol:

I've had trouble similar to you in the past that, for whatever reason, was helped when I raised the CYA. I wanted to keep it at 30, so I could have lower CL levels, but it just didn't work here for me in Denver. I also believe I loose CL overnight when my pool is perfectly balanced due to typical "mile-hi" conditions. I have chased my tail with shocking for days at a time when in hind sight, don't believe I needed to as the water was sparkling clear. I am anal and I kept my eyes on the test results when a little more eye on the water would have made a bigger difference for me.

Just my $.02.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thank you as well to everyone who has given my advise for the last 10 days. I have not used any pucks yet because I went out and tested at dawn this am and it held for the 2nd consecutive night. At noon today- 9very sunny) I added 64 oz of bleach and when I just tested at 7:30 pm probably only lost 2 ppm. The pool looks great. A special thanks to Duraleigh and Jasonlion for continuing to give me needed does of POP.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.