HELP red clay in the pool

ajhankel2012

Platinum Supporter
LifeTime Supporter
Jan 12, 2013
A pipe broke under my house, murphy's law it leaked very fine red clay from inbetween the copping into the pool. The pool has blue quarts so the red and blue are green. its not alge. this happened sat the 16th and dispite many filter (all 4) cleanings the water is still VERY cloudy. is there something i can put in to bind the fine mud or do i drain and refill. if undisturbe for several hours you can see a fine line of mud on the step edges. HELP please i havent even enjoyed the pool yet. :?:

If it's just clay, your filter should catch it but it'll take a little bit of time...several days at least. If it's a lot of dirt (how much?) sometimes the organics in the soil can use up all your chlorine, then you end up with algae and dirt :(

a lot of clay No clumps of dirt just a lot of very fine red clay it past through the fiber joint between the copping and the cement walkway so it was filtered first through that. i do not see/cant see any accumulation on the bottom. i sure hope the filter does it. i know that red clay will stain the side of a house as you build it. i hope it does not stick to my pool walls and bottom. i am brushing it every day and when time permits more than 10 times a day. brand new pool. i will check chlorine level.

Try not to worry too much...I don't think that it will stain the surface. If it does, you can pretty easily lift those stains using an ascorbic acid treatment if necessary. I would say try to keep it from settling, maybe by running the cleaner all the time, and let the filter do its job!

I finally relented and drained the pool and cleaned it the old fashioned way.
20140913_092736.jpg

After cleaning...
20141109_162151.jpg

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.