Broken safety cover anchors??

SB1417

May 7, 2012
Hi everbody. I am starting to have a problem with broken anchors on my inground pool mesh safety cover. I now have two anchors that have broken in half, leaving the lower half of the anchor firmly down in the concrete around my pool. The top half of the broken anchor ends up laying on top of the mesh cover once the tension from the spring is released. Im able to push the top half back down into the anchor hole in the concrete and reattach the spring, but it eventually pulls lose again.

I was wondering if anyone else has ran into this problem and what was your solution? I would just replace the anchor but I'm unable to get the broken bottom half out of the drilled hole in the concrete. I've considered concreting the upper part of the anchor back into the hole but I'm thinking that once I reattach the spring, the tension from the spring will be too much for the concrete to hold.

For now, I pushed the top of both anchors back down into the anchor hole and reattached the spring. But they eventually work their way out, especially if any snow gets on the cover and increases the tension.

Any suggestions or comments? My dog sometimes walks on the edge of the cover and I'm afraid that he'll fall in.
Thanks!!

I can't help you with replacing the anchors, but I do know that the cover is not designed to support snow loading while fully tensioned. The tension on the cover should be lowered so that the cover rests down on the surface of the water when snow is expected. That way the water ends up supporting the weight of the snow instead of the cover.

JasonLion said:
I can't help you with replacing the anchors, but I do know that the cover is not designed to support snow loading while fully tensioned. The tension on the cover should be lowered so that the cover rests down on the surface of the water when snow is expected. That way the water ends up supporting the weight of the snow instead of the cover.

The water level is high enough in the winter so that any weight put on the cover, pushes the cover down to the top of the water. When it does snow, most of the cover lays on the top of the water. But where the cover slopes back up along the edge of the pool also accumulates some snow, which causes more tension on the springs because its unable to be supported be the water.

I'm planning on letting some of the tension off the straps that attach to the springs. I never thought the tension was too high before, but if I'm getting broken anchors, maybe it is. I keep the tension on the springs so that they compress about 1/2 way without anything on the cover.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.