Does pH always read high when FC is high?

Beez

LifeTime Supporter
May 19, 2009
Dallas, TX
pH 7.7
FC 14
CYA >40 (I treat it as if it were 50)
TA 100
CH 340
Temp 44 degrees

I am fighting mustard algae, so recently added FC to shock level to hit it hard while the water is cold. I made the mistake of not checking pH before adding the FC, but it last tested 7.8 which is right where I wanted it going into winter. So I'm a little confused as to current reading.

My understanding of pH is that as the water cools and becomes colder, pH naturally rises? Also, my understanding of testing pH while FC is high is that pH may read *higher* than it actually is. I'm really trying to keep a close eye on CSI this winter. Should I be concerned with current pH reading?

Edited to add temp reading

RobbieH said:
I ignore pH during the shock process.
Me too normally, but that's because I expect it to be higher than normal not lower... :scratch:

I'm about to raise the FC level again, so that will really skew the pH beyond reliability. You still think I should just ignore the pH reading?

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.