Filter tank pressure

Jul 21, 2012
I have a DE filter and when I cleaned the filter and added new DE, the pressure started out at about 10 psi. After a few months, the pressure slowly climbed up to about 15. I understand this is normal and I was watching to see when it got to level it needed to be backwashed.
But when the leaves began falling, I fell behind in my ability to keep them cleaned out. Some got through and into the filter type basket immediately before the pump. The pressure dropped to about 10. When I cleaned this basket, the pressure went back to its previous level.
Unfortunately, I let it happen again. Today when I cleaned the basket out, the pressure remained at about 10.
Do you think I let some get into the pump and caused a reduction in pressure. Or is there some other problem I am not aware of.
Thanks for your thoughts.
Don

A reduced pressure without cleaning the filter would be due to a suction blockage or something in the impeller ... well could also be a blockage between the pump and filter as well.

We recommend you clean the filter when they pressure goes up 20-25% of the clean pressure. You should be backwashing and adding DE before the pressure gets up to 13 psi.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thanks for the reply Jason. The pressure gauge on my tank has markings that show it should start about 10 psi and should be backwashed when it gets to 20. Is that information just wrong or out-dated.

Outdated. You would have very little flow left if you waited for the pressure to double. The 10psi raise just does not take into account what your starting pressure is ... so using a % makes more sense.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.