what is the thin plastic that came with solar cover for ?

Apr 14, 2011
I bought a solar cover for my pool a few months ago. When I took it out of the box, besides the actual solar cover itself, there were also 2 pretty long , I believe sort of rectangular pieces of very thin blue plastic sheets.
At the time I had no idea what they were used for so I just threw them out of the way. I am cleaning out that area and came across these and am wondering if they have an actual purpose or can I just toss them.
I was thinking maybe for a reel if I had one, but I checked out a few sites about attaching a reel and never saw these mentioned. I have not seen anything similar in any pictures of a solar cover.........but I doubt if they just toss in plastic for the heck of it but it didn't say a thing about them in the directions either.
any ideas appreciated.

Re: what is the thin plastic that came with solar cover for

We never used the thin plastic that came with ours when we put the cover up for the summer in 2011 and as Richard said, it was obvious that our cover was ruined after sitting all summer. (plastic bubbles in the skimmer) Lesson learned and now when we stop using the cover for the season (summer or winter - only really use the cover on the pool in spring and fall here) we store it in the shade and bungee a tarp around it with the silver side out. Worked great this year for us. I really don't trust the thin plastic to protect it from getting UV'd, but perhaps it works and the tarp is overkill.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.