Damaged Wall Fitting

Apr 21, 2010
Torrance, CA
Hi All! Long time lurker here. We own an old inground gunite/plaster pool apparently built back in the 80's. We have only owned the house for a few years. Until it broke, I have been using one of the return eyeballs with the appropriate adapter to run my Polaris 360. The other day while I was attempting to tighten the retaining ring, the threads on the wall fitting were damaged. With the damaged threads, there are not enough good threads to hold the adapter on under pressure.

I did some searching, and the wall fitting does not seem to resemble anything I have found and there does not seem to be any way to get the fitting off. It appears that it is imbedded into the plaster. I have attached some images below of the outside threads and the inside of the fitting (using a mirror). Can anyone give me advice on how to repair/replace the fitting?

IMG_1054.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/Y ... directlink

IMG_1055.JPG

https://picasaweb.google.com/lh/photo/_ ... directlink

put your finger inside and see if you can feel a lip about 1.5" inches inside. I'm not positive but I was on a pool this year that had threaded fittings that just pushed into a pvc pipe that came out of the wall. I had to use a flat screw driver and work it from different angles to remove the fitting. The fitting just held there in place from the slight tapered design/friction.

Thanks Kevin. Unfortunately, I don't feel any lip besides what can be seen in the second picture of the original post. It looks like the threaded fitting slips over the pipe rather than into the pipe. I'm contemplating just epoxying the retaining ring in place as I don't think that is going to make anything worse at this point.

If you close your pool for the winter you don't want to epoxy the ring in place since that will make it hard to cap off the line. Plast-Aid works very will with plastics and is very versatile. They also sell pipe extenders that you might be able to glue into that pipe to extend it out and then make a new fitting based off that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.