giving up - how do we remove the hand rail at the steps?

Jul 18, 2009
Rome, GA
hi guys. y'all were super helpful a couple of years ago when we were trying to get our (circa 1975) inground pool going.

unfortunately, just about everything that could go wrong, has, and we are simply giving up on it, gonna cover it up and just ignore it for the time being.

:salut:

we never bothered to put the deep-end side ladders back in, but the guys who put in the new liner years ago didn't take out the handrail for the steps.

i don't know if this sort of handrail is permanently cemented in, or if there's a way to remove it.

any helpful hints on how to remove a handrail that's probably not been moved since it was originally installed, in the mid 70's? is there a trick to it that i just can't figure out, or should we just rent a cutter from Home Depot and cut it off? :scratch:

Have you tried to just wiggle and pull them free? That's how ours come out, from what I gather having watched it as opposed to having done it myself. Usually, there's just some silicone in there. If they haven't been out a while, spraying some water around the area might help flush any debris around the post.

Standard configuration has a bolt(s) holding them in. You should loosen that bolt 6-8 turns and then be able to wiggle it to break the bond and then it will lift out. A pic would be helpful if yours is not standard.

The bolt usually pulls up an anchor wedge. When the bolt is loosened, you usually need to tap on the bolt to push the anchor wedge back down. There might be an escutcheon plate covering the anchor cup and bolt.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.