Main drain and floor return not closed properly last year

I did my first close last year and based on some advice I didn't do anything special for closing the main drain or floor return. The logic was that the main drain and floor return were at the bottom of the pool therefore below the frost line. It gets cold here in Ontario, Canada. In spite of this when I opened the pool this year the skimmers and returns worked and as far as I was concerned the pool was clean and ready to swim. I didn't really notice the main drain and floor return were not working until I used the heater some time late summer and didn't feel any heat coming from the floor return.

Confirmed today when I started closing. I use the main drain to bring the water level below the returns. The main drain has no suction. We used the pool all summer and didn't experience any leaks I noticed. How can I figure out if I damaged the main drain and floor return? Should I just close the pool like last year and get it pressure tested in the spring?

Re: Main drain and floor return not closed properly last yea

Do you have separate valves for md and floor return where these can be isolated on/off?

- Sent using Tapatalk

I blew out my main bottom of pool intake line with a 5hp shop vac and couldn't get air bubbles to come out before i closed the valve. I went ahead and opened the valve and poured 1 gallon of rv antifreeze in the line then repeated the process of blowing out the line with shop vac, while closing the valve(still no air bubble visible while blowing). My thought was that i should buy the balboa mighty vac 2.75 hp blower vac for pools to do this job or do you think i need to worry about it. I live in Indianapolis, IN

my pool is approx 8ft deep, 35,000 gallons, gunite/plaster inground with sand filter and 1hp pump

joconnor72 said:
I blew out my main bottom of pool intake line with a 5hp shop vac and couldn't get air bubbles to come out before i closed the valve. I went ahead and opened the valve and poured 1 gallon of rv antifreeze in the line then repeated the process of blowing out the line with shop vac, while closing the valve(still no air bubble visible while blowing). My thought was that i should buy the balboa mighty vac 2.75 hp blower vac for pools to do this job or do you think i need to worry about it. I live in Indianapolis, IN

my pool is approx 8ft deep, 35,000 gallons, gunite/plaster inground with sand filter and 1hp pump

Welcome to the forum!

BTW - you should start a new thread for this - doing what you have done here is called "Thread Hijacking" and it is frowned on.

Also you should move the pool info you posted into your signature - info on that and other stuff for new users is here: pool-school/read_before_you_post

thanks..didn't mean to hijack. i would delete thread, but cant figure out how. maybe i shouldnt be replying to this either?? oh well just tried to get some advice..guess i will just call my pool guy.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.