Help, Just bought a house with a pool and chemicals are off

Re: Help, Just bought a house with a pool and chemicals are

At a CYA of 40ppm, FC of 3ppm is the absolute minimum you want to let it drop ... may want to add a little more bleach tomorrow to keep it higher.

Thank you Jason. After dumping so much stuff in today, my plan was to retest in the morning and see where I was at.
After having such a high CYA level it is nice to see it low but I know I can't keep it too low! Thanks for all your help :-

Sunnyizzie said:
Thank you Jason. After dumping so much stuff in today, my plan was to retest in the morning and see where I was at.
After having such a high CYA level it is nice to see it low but I know I can't keep it too low! Thanks for all your help :-
Anywhere between 30ppm & 40ppm is great.

I don't know that leaving it at 3 overnight is your best choice, because any lower and you give algae a chance. I personally would push it up to 5 or 6 before bed.

-sent with Tapatalk 2

Shock FC

I understand CYA level/minimum FC/and Target FC but what exactly does the Shock FC number mean?? I have been reading pool school ...my CYA is 50/FC is 4 which I know is minimum and Target for FC is 6. What does the Shock FC 20 mean??

That's the level required to sustain a shock process when one has algae or an ambundance of cc (chloramides) that need to be oxidized. Shock is a process at TFP, not a "product" the way they sell it in bags at the pool store. In theory, youu can use any sanitizer (eg liquid chlorine, dichlor, tricolor -- but those last two have cya so don't use them unless you need to raise cya, and cal hypo, which is powdered chlorine that has calcium in it.)
For practical purposes, should you ever need to sustain "shock level" for a few days you'd most likely ge best off using liquid chlorine/bleach to avoid unintended additions of cya or calcium.

If you make sure you never let the free chlorine drop below your minimum, you probably will not need to shock at all. To do that, you will first need to understand how much free chlorine your pool uses in a day on average -- sunlight will burn up some, so will bather loads and combating other organic exposures.heat makes a diffence. Etc. Then you want to "target". Or dose enough so that you don't drop below youy minimum at any time until your next reading and dose.
So for example, if you pool uses up 30 - 40 percent of your chlorine (every pool is different due to location, weather, and other variables) and your min. Is 3 ppm, then you'll want to add enough
to be at 6 or 7 ppm to be safe.

That's why it's important to have a test kit that reads higher than five -- when you account for the stabilization factor of cya, 5 is on the conservative side of dosing. And just so you know, also due
to cya, even numbers up to shock values are safe to swin in, and regular numbers recommended
here are actually in effect not much different than tap water's level of chlorination -- even though
they sound higher ( again, that's because cya causes some of the free chlorine to be held in
reserve until needed...but also why chlorine levels have to be waaaay higher when cya is high to
work as sanitization at all!)

Hope that helps and welcome to TFP! I was new last April -- you'll be amazed in a few months how much you learn here.
So from One newbie to another, cheers!

Using double amount of chlorine

I have been using the BBB method since Oct. and have had no issues at all with balancing my water until now. I added 121 oz of 8.25% bleach last night and this evening my FC is already down to 4.2 In the fall I would have a reading of 6 on a Monday evening and before adding on a Thursday evening the lowest my reading would be would be 3.0 and now it is getting down to 1.0 which I know is bad.
My readings tonight were FC 4.2, CC 0, PH 7.8, CH 350, CYA 50, TA 140
The only thing I have changed is the Bleach I used to buy at COSTCO has changed. They now have 8.25% 121oz bottles instead of the 6% Large bottles. They are from Mexico and the stamp on this batch is A73113 11:31 CA-2 I noticed when I googled the numbers one answer said the third #means the year which would be 2003?? I see the number 13 is here so thought it meant 2013 unless the numbers are different in Mexico? Anyway, I know when It is sunnier and hotter here in Tucson I will be going through more chlorine, I just didn't think it would be double the amount. Any ideas...my water looks great??

Dealing with something similar. I did find that the 2 gallons of 10% at Lowe's/home depot I think is cheaper. And based on the huge jump in FC I got yesterday, seems like it may be stronger than 10%.

Just spent the weekend at shock level thinking that something must be making the FC drop faster than usual.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)