New borax?

a-team

Oct 7, 2012
Hello, long time reader first time posting. Yesterday I was at target and while buying bleach I noticed that the borax now comes in a new packaging. Although the package is not the problem the ingredients now state sodium tetraborate without the decahydrate. I'm not to familiar with anything related to chemistry but is it the same?. Here are the pictures taken from the two boxes for comparison. Thanks in advance

Attachments

• IMAG0357-1.jpg
    IMAG0357-1.jpg
    251.8 KB · Views: 180
I'm pretty sure they are just shortening the name to make it less confusing to the general uneducated consumer.

There's decahydrate & pentahydrate. Obviously from the Latin, that is the 2nd & 3rd level states of hydration, or dehydration in this case. ChemGeek will surely be along to give us the straight dope. ;)

Pentahydrate is great, because it's pH neutral, so you don't have to add acid to bring the pH back down, which is AWESOME!
Costs more, but comes out to about the same price since no acid is required. That is if you buy it from DudaDiesel in a large quantity, even with freight.

y_not said:
Pentahydrate is great, because it's pH neutral, so you don't have to add acid to bring the pH back down, which is AWESOME!
This is not true. The only difference between the decahydrate and the pentahydrate is the water content so you need more weight of the decahydrate for equivalent borate level.

I think you are mixing up boric acid which is close to pH neutral.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.