Suggestions for Timer Replacement

Apr 20, 2012
I've got old Intermatic mechanical timers for my pool pump and booster pump(220V). Recently, I've noticed that there is an arc behind the pool pump timer whenever the switch is turned on. I'm not sure if it's always been like that or if it is something new. Either way, I'm going to do something about it.

The enclosure seal is worn out, and there is some rust on the box. The wiring is a mess inside (bought it this way) so I probably need to neaten it up a bit. There is no automation beyond the timer and freeze protection.

I suppose I have several options. The simplest I think would be to just replace the mechanical timers.

However, when this pump motor dies, I'll replace it with a two speed motor. I don't want to have to manually change the motor speed to accommodate the booster pump running.

If I understand correctly, I'll need three timers, 1 for pump low speed, 1 for pump high speed, and 1 for the booster pump.

I'm not looking for anything fancy. Any recommendations?

Thanks in advance!
Rob

For the mechanical timers, you really will need an On/Off timer for the pool pump and a timer to select the speed and a timer to turn on the booster pump (I assume you would want to power the booster on/off timer from the main on/off timer to ensure that it can not be on without the pool pump).

For the Intermatic, you want the T104 for the 240V on/off (2 of them, should be what you have already) and the T106 can be used for the speed selection. There are a few places you can find a combo box that has the T104 and T106 in a single enclosure, then you could add the second T104 for the booster pump separately.

You can always just replace the internals, although if the enclosure is in bad shape, might be worth replacing the entire assembly.

There are digital options as well, although then you have to consider the exposure to the elements.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.