Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Tiny Bubbles..........in my return

1. Back To Top    #1

Tiny Bubbles..........in my return

Hello pool guys and gals,

I am seeing very tiny bubble in my returns. The last time I had bubbles, the pool level was too low, raised the level and the bubbles went away.

Today while turning the jandy valve from one skimmer the other while vacuuming, I heard "something"...I dont know what it was but now I have very tiny bubbles.

I know about shutting the pump off when moving the selector for backwashing etc, but am I, or should I be shutting the pump off to move the jandy valve?

All that to get to my question, does it sound like I broke something?

As Always,

Thank you in advance
    Tony
    ______

My Pool set up:

28,000 gal, 40x32x16 True "L" IGP, 3-8.5 ft depth, Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump, Pro Seriews 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, Barracuda III suction cleaner

2. Back To Top    #2
    Do you have a SWG? A SWG cell creates small bubbles when it is active.
    19K gal, vinyl, 1/2 HP WhisperFlo pump, 200 sqft cartridge filter, AutoPilot Digital SWG, Dolphin Dynamic cleaning robot
    Creator of PoolMath and Pool Calculator. Other handy links: Support this site, TF Test Kits, Pool School

3. Back To Top    #3

The onlt Tiny Bubbles left ........

are the ones from Don Ho boxed set.

Not sure what they were from, but they are gone, no SWG. I have just got comfy with the BBB
    Tony
    ______

My Pool set up:

28,000 gal, 40x32x16 True "L" IGP, 3-8.5 ft depth, Hayward 1.5hp Super Pump, Pro Seriews 300# sand filter, 2 skimmers, 3 returns, Barracuda III suction cleaner

4. Back To Top    #4

Tiny Bubbles

I've have an SWG, but have experienced different causes of tiny bubble relating to a poor connection on the intake side of the pump. Essentially this causes the pump to draw some air with the water.

The most common areas I would look are

1) Poor connection between two floating sections of vacuum hose.
    Sometimes you can acutally hear it sucking air if you splash water on the joints.
    Solution- see if you can get a better connection between the vacuum hose joint, or replace the section.

2) Poor connection of an above water plumbing joint between the skimmer and the pump.
    Solution - A bit of tightening or teflon tape on the joint.

3) Poor seal of O-Ring on pump cleanout lid.
    Solution - Tighten lid, add a bit of Jack's O-Ring lubricant around O-Ring, or replace O-Ring

4) If the valve at the skimmer was closed when the pump was on, this could cause the pressure in the intake pipes to drop
    to the point where air can gets through joints that it normally wouldn't be able. You may have created this condition
    when you switched from one skimmer to another.

If this is the case, is something it broken? Can't tell, but I would try retightening any of the joints between the skimmer
    and the pump. While the pump is running you may be able to hear a sucking sound at a poor joint. Let us know if you
    still have bubbles after tightening the joints
    Carl Schnurr
    96,000 litre inground, vinyl liner, 1 HP 1speed pump, sand filter, Aqua-rite SWG, Hayward Ultra Vac, installed 2005

5. Back To Top    #5
    Here is a tip:
    Jandy valves leak air if they are on the input side of the
    pump. Take the valve apart(remove all those screws) and then generously
    lube the seal O-Ring and the O-Ring on the handle shaft. Reinstall
    the valve, air leaks solved.

Cliff s