Not sure what I have - algae?

And, the trick to warm up the water in the sink with hot water was perfect. BTY, I have no idea what model pool I've got. Was never given any paperwork and there's nothing on the outside to indicate what it is.

rhharmon said:
FC: 21; CC: 0; CYA: 40. Still a few spots, but nothing like it was before I got this kit and you guys. Hopefully I'm on the way to recovery! Anything else I need to be doing?

Just keep brushing as you see film and such develop, or your little aglae pets. :)
Also, keep your filter clean. Do a backwash when it rises to 25% above it's clean, starting pressure.
Don't BW too often, as a dirty sand filter cleans better and filters finter particles than a clean one. But you do have to BW it, otherwise when the pressure gets high enough and the filter clogged enough, it will reduce flow tremendously and can cause all sorts of problems. But it's nothing to worry about so long as you BW it only when it reaches the above percentage.
You can also watch the BW water for dirt, algae and other junk. If you aren't seeing much of anything, nor much of a drop in pressure. Then you know you're doing it too soon.

Is it grabbing a noticeable amount of junk, are you seeing a rise in pressure as indicated?

Thank you for the kind words, we're here to help you along. :)
You are definitely on your way to clean & clear.

rhharmon said:
And, the trick to warm up the water in the sink with hot water was perfect. BTY, I have no idea what model pool I've got. Was never given any paperwork and there's nothing on the outside to indicate what it is.

HAHA! Thank Vanya for that one. ;)
Glad it worked for you.

Model isn't so much necessary as I wanted to verify your dimensions and depth to be sure you had the water volume correct since you were have bleach addition problems with the levels being true to the calculator.
You have 2 dimensions listed and it's an AGP, so I'm assuming it'es either oval or rectangular? How deep is it, can you stick a tape in it or a yardstick and tell me what the deepest point is? That is if it varies.

rhharmon said:
Glad I could help.

- Sent using Tapatalk

Okay, I'm down to three specs on bottom of pool this morning. YEAH! Would it be safe to shut down now or should I wait. Temps are going down to the 40s tonight, so it gets kind of cold working with the water.

rhharmon said:
Okay, I'm down to three specs on bottom of pool this morning. YEAH! Would it be safe to shut down now or should I wait. Temps are going down to the 40s tonight, so it gets kind of cold working with the water.

You have to keep shocking till the water is clear.
Did you pass an OCLT + CC's?
You can just brush once per day, or only as the spots appear or it looks filmy/slimy. That way you can just do it when it's the warmest.

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Last night FC: 21.5; CC: 0; Water: Clear. This morning FC: 20.5; CC: 0; Water: Clear. According to the OCLT Test and this great forum, I've beaten the algae. After spending hundreds of dollars on chemicals and a long, miserable summer dealing with the pool companies, not to mention the hours spent scrubbing, etc. etc. You guys helped me beat that darn stuff. You people ROCK! Thanks so very, very much.

One more question. According to the close pool instructions, my pool is at the shock level required (20) and I'm at 20.5 have remained there for 24 hours. So I don't need to add any more chlorine to shut down?

I'm going to let the algaecide circulate for (4) hours then drain and cover. Just making sure I don't need to add the "arctic blue shock (58.2% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione; 41.8% other ingredients" I bought from the pool company to close it down before I joined this forum.

rhharmon said:
Last night FC: 21.5; CC: 0; Water: Clear. This morning FC: 20.5; CC: 0; Water: Clear. According to the OCLT Test and this great forum, I've beaten the algae. After spending hundreds of dollars on chemicals and a long, miserable summer dealing with the pool companies, not to mention the hours spent scrubbing, etc. etc. You guys helped me beat that darn stuff. You people ROCK! Thanks so very, very much.

WOHOOOO!!! You passed. YAAAYYYYRRR
Congrats rhharmon, you did it. :goodjob:

I thank the forum to, I am but a humble servant here. ;)
The founders are geniuses and you're right, it saves us piles and trucks of money. *looks around for his truck of money* :p

Be sure and come back, stick around, sit a spell lots to learn in the winter time when the pool is down.

Ps. I assume your little furry white bottom friends are aaaallll gone, yeah? :)

rhharmon said:
One more question. According to the close pool instructions, my pool is at the shock level required (20) and I'm at 20.5 have remained there for 24 hours. So I don't need to add any more chlorine to shut down?

I'm going to let the algaecide circulate for (4) hours then drain and cover. Just making sure I don't need to add the "arctic blue shock (58.2% sodium dichloro-s-triazinetrione; 41.8% other ingredients" I bought from the pool company to close it down before I joined this forum.

Yeah, you're good to go on shock levels, drain below the skimmer do all your prep closing work with lines, hoses and all that stuff and you're set.

Algaecide, did you use a polyquat 60 based product?

As for the "Arctic Blue Shock", nope keep that out of your pool. Especially with it's "unknown" ingredients, love it when they do that. LOL NOT!
Just sell it on Craig's List either now or at the start of next season. ;)
Or take it back to the pool store /w a link to the forum pasted on the bottom of the bottle. *whistles, lalala*

Excellent, very good call. :goodjob:

The copper in that other stuff is BAAADDD!!
Won't hurt you, it'll just cause staining, green water, green hair among other things. Once metal gets in, getting it out is another story. :shock:

Well didn't get to close the pool yesterday. Opened the liner box and they left the cable out. I noticed something weird. When I vacuum to waste, I can keep stuff out of the pool. When I use the filter, it seems the same stuff ends up back in the pool. How can I tell if something is wrong with my filter? Do I need to call someone out to look at it?

rhharmon said:
Well didn't get to close the pool yesterday. Opened the liner box and they left the cable out. I noticed something weird. When I vacuum to waste, I can keep stuff out of the pool. When I use the filter, it seems the same stuff ends up back in the pool. How can I tell if something is wrong with my filter? Do I need to call someone out to look at it?

Read about Sand Filter Channelling and how to fix it here:
my-sand-is-channeled-how-to-fix-it-t7626.html

Enjoying this content?

Support TFP with a donation.

Give Support
Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.