Winterizing and the filter

Glock

Jun 3, 2012
Mesquite, Texas
I have a 24" filter with 350lbs of sand in it. I can't move it at all. Not even without water. When I winterize, can I just take off the valve, open the drain valve and cover the opening? I really don't want to move that. I might end up on CNN. :hammer:

I think many people just drain the water and leave it sit. The concern is water freezing, expanding, and breaking something. No water ... no worry.

Posted from my Droid with Tapatalk ... sorry if my response is short ;)

I was hoping to hear that. We freeze so little down here I am going to leave it. I will zip tie a heavy layer of tarp material over the opening. I actually have a heavy thermal blanket that might cover the whole thing. I guess I could fill it with vodka. :cheers:

Glock,

I have the same sized sand filer and live in Michigan. I don't even remove the muliport valve when I winterize. All I do is remove the drain cap, no blanket. Never had a freezing problem. Save the vodka, if I'm ever down that way, I'll help you drink it!

nedchavez said:
Glock,

I have the same sized sand filer and live in Michigan. I don't even remove the muliport valve when I winterize. All I do is remove the drain cap, no blanket. Never had a freezing problem. Save the vodka, if I'm ever down that way, I'll help you drink it!

LOL!! It's a deal! :cheers:

I really don't want to remove the top valve but I read so many post here of people checking their spider gaskets so I assumed it had to be done. If leaving it is cool then I will do that.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.