Preparing to Close

Martha_D said:
If anyone could answer my last 3 questions id be pretty stoked. :)

I'll give it a shot - but it's the blind leading the blind.

Martha_D said:
1. I can get my hands on a shop vac that's 4.25hp 12 gal. My pool is 20x40 and about 7 feet deep at the main drain. Will this vac be sufficient?
Volume of the vac isn't important - the amount of flow is important. The size of the output hose is maybe important - I would think that a 2.5" output hose would have higher potential flow than the 1 7/8" hose units. EDIT: However depending on how you adapt the plumbing to the blower (Ultra Gizzmo anyone?) the resulting hole may be more limiting than the hose - but a larger hose indicates a motor with higher flow rates - or at least I think it does.

Martha_D said:
2. I am unsure about how to drain my heater. I don't even ever use it, but I don't know if the pool guy opened it up (or whatever) before I started maintaining the pool this year. PLUS, I cannot find any drain plugs. There are 2 pvc pipes leading into it and a connector. Next to the pipes are 2 black levers. Not sure what they are. Would unscrewing the pvc joints do it?
Not a clue - sorry. However I would think that if you directed the input of the blower through the valves in such a way that it goes through the heater - you have a good chance of blowing out the water in it - particularly if you disconnected the output side - but I would look for more expert opinion than mine which is really just supposition and guessing on this point.

Martha_D said:
3. When blowing the lines, what should the multiport on the filter be set to, and to blow out the filter, do I simply change the multiport to backwash with the vac on the skimmer poolside after everything is plugged?
I would like confirmation of this also. I plan to use CLOSED while blowing my main drain from my skimmer (to avoid having to plug all the returns). I plan to use RECIRCULATE when blowing my returns from my skimmer after closing off the main drain (air locking it). I plan to use WASTE (backwash might work better/same but not sure) to empty water some excess water from the pump/filter. I plan to pull filter drain plug and pump drain plugs as well which should ensure that the remainder is drained out.

UnderWaterVanya, Thank you!

I just got confirmation from a pool store guy that waste should be used when draining, and closed while draining the skimmers and returns. He said only use backwash when backwashing.

Martha_D said:
UnderWaterVanya, Thank you!

I just got confirmation from a pool store guy that waste should be used when draining, and closed while draining the skimmers and returns. He said only use backwash when backwashing.

I'm confused about using CLOSED with my setup for draining returns. I will not be dropping water level below my returns and I plan to use skimmer to blow air into the lines - skimmer is not going to reach returns unless filter is on FILTER or RECIRCULATE - any other position and it blows out the backwash hose or is closed off.

Thread Status
Hello , This thread has been inactive for over 60 days. New postings here are unlikely to be seen or responded to by other members. For better visibility, consider Starting A New Thread.