Become a TFP Supporter Pool Math Forum Rules Pool School

Thread: Continual Intellichlor Issues. Thoughts?

1. Back To Top    #1

Continual Intellichlor Issues. Thoughts?

Well, I just had to have my intellichlor replaced for the 2nd time - in a YEAR. I am now on my 3rd unit. I was talking to the guy about my concern and if this seems to be a general issue or my bad luck. He thinks it is both. He told me the untis run 1,000.00 and he has had to replace alot of them. Told him you would think pentair would be getting hit pretty hard. He stated he had heard rumors that Pentair was going to stop making salt generators due to this issue. Luckily I have a 3 year warranty but I am worried what will happen when my warranty ends and if this is an ongoing issue, that is a heck of alot of money. Any thoughts on this?
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

2. Back To Top    #2

I've had one replaced in about 9 months of usage so i share your concern somewhat. $1000 is way too high though... I think you can get them off the internet for ~$500. From the size of you pool I'm guessing you have the cheaper IC20 also?
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

3. Back To Top    #3

I just bought a new IC40 with power unit on ebay for $675 with shipping.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html

4. Back To Top    #4

With the power unit huh? Sounds like a pretty good deal... I see several companies on ebay selling the IC20 cell only for $450. AndieJJ, what your PB is telling you is that the units run YOU $1000, after his 100% markup that is.
    My Pool:
    12K gal IG gunite with 7' raised spa, gunite waterfall, PebbleTec Caribbean Blue finish, solar heating & in-floor cleaning system

Equipment: Sta-Rite 300' Cartridge Filter, Intellichlor IC20 SWCG, Sta-Rite 400k BTU heater, Intelliflow 4x160 main pump & Sta-Rite 3/4 hp waterfall pump, EasyTouch controlls w/ wireless controller, TF-100 Test Kit w/ salt test.

5. Back To Top    #5

I hate to admit this but I paid over $1000 for my IC20, but that was installed (I hate doing plumbing)...but since I have several Pentair products, it supposedly extends my warranty out to 3? or 5? years on all the Pentair products. Fortunately I haven't had to use it yet, but I'll have to check the details now that I'm hearing about Intellichlor issues.
    Todd
    --------------
    Pool: 16x36, 16,800 gal., vinyl, sand filter, SWG & AquaCal Heat Pump
    Spa: Hot Springs Sovereign, 355 gal., ozone/ion
    The most helpful tool you'll ever have for your pool:
    http://www.poolcalculator.com/

6. Back To Top    #6

Actually it's not the pool builder but rather Pool master who deals with all issues/problems with our pool equipment. I was telling him this is my 3rd unit in a year and he says "Yeah and these things run 1,000 a pop". Even 500 is a heck of a lot of money if your having to replace it 3x a year. You would think something like this would last a couple years.
    ~Andrea

24,000 IG with spa and 4 ton waterfall. Equipment: Pentair 520 Clean & Clear, Pentair VS+SVRS Intelliflo, Pentair Whisperflo 2 HP, Polairis Cleaner, Intellibrites, Pentair Rainbow 320 in-line Chlorinator, Pentair Easy touch 8 wireless and spa side remote.

7. Back To Top    #7
    Wow, now I'm glad that I chose to go with a different salt chlorinator.
    20,000 plaster in ground (finally blue!), Hayward C-1100 Cartridge Filter and Baracuda G4 Automatic Cleaner

8. Back To Top    #8

I just looked on eBay. In the last two weeks an IC20 (cell only) sold for $250 and an IC40 for $320.

With all the bad things I'm hearing, I have to admit I'm getting a little worried but I don't mind doing a little plumbing if it breaks.
    11000 Gals, Intelliflo, Sta-Rite Cartridge, Polaris 360

Pool I built in my old house: my-new-pool-build-t4534.html